Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

high flow steering lines??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by prjt_blzr, Feb 18, 2003.

1. prjt_blzr

prjt_blzr 1/2 ton status

I'm trying to get as much flow as possible through my steering set up. Is there any way to get -8AN fittings onto an early (flared fittings) '77 K5 steering box?

Thanks,
    Mike

2. TheLakeRat

TheLakeRat 1/2 ton status

Try getting ahold of AFCO racing. i believe that they sell a AN changeover.

3. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Did you do the pump mod that's on the WTO site already? I just did mine tonight, it was real easy. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif </font>

4. prjt_blzr

prjt_blzr 1/2 ton status

I've tried a whole lot of places/suppliers but NOT AFCO. I will do that and see what they have.

I worked out the low pressure lines by building my own fittings. I cut the -6AN 90 degree and an -8AN 90 degree. I then sized them to be an interference fit and will have them TIG welded for a low pressure seal. I believe that this would work for the high pressure lines as well...just not brave enough to try it and have the thing blow apart on the highway around a curve....

Shaggy, I knew I saw an article on how to modify a PS pump but could not find it. I just went to the WTO web site and did not find it. Do you have a link to it??

Thanks guys!!
    Mike

5. prjt_blzr

prjt_blzr 1/2 ton status

I did more searching with WTO and I found the article. Thanks!! Were you trying to get more flow just to have some overhead or did you need the extra flow due to ram assist or ?? Did the mods help and do you have any regrets?

Mike

6. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I did it for more flow since I'm running their ram. I have no idea how it works since the truck is still being built. </font>

7. prjt_blzr

prjt_blzr 1/2 ton status

I see that you have the same problem that I do. Lots of great ideas on paper just not on a running truck yet.....

One day I may finish mine. It's been in the garage for far too many years as I get some time here and there to work on it. The worst is upgrading something that hasn't even been run yet.

8. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Yep, I hear you on that. My junk has been in the garage for over 2 years now. It started with 2 fragged ring gears and pretty much snowballed from there. I'm only a few weeks away from being back on the road though, so long as the last of my parts arrive on schedule. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif </font>

9. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

are you certain the lines are the restriction?
    -8 sounds huge

10. prjt_blzr

prjt_blzr 1/2 ton status

I'm putting a cooler on the truck and have a lot of hose on the return side of the system. I don't want to cause an issue with a long length of -6 line. If I make a fitting then there should be no real change to the system even though it runs longer lines. The pressure side has a short 20" hose and it is pressurized so that it shouldn't restrict the flow. I'm probably overkilling the return line but that is better than the alternative.