Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

High heat painted parts in the BBQ

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bigblue78, Jan 5, 2005.

1. bigblue78

bigblue78 Registered Member

Heres an odd thought, i know your suppost to heat a high heat painted part in the oven as so the paint will harden. Im not to excited about getin the house smellin like burnt paint, so how bought the gas grill? think it will work

2. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

what about using an heat gun.

3. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

I personally think the gas grill isn't such a great idea - not too much control over the temp, and the whole open flame/paint fumes thing doesn't inspire much confidence in the method. But hey, that's just me...

If the part's not too big, you could pick up a yard-sale toaster oven to use for heat curing.

4. WantedaDodge

WantedaDodge 1/2 ton status

umm.. Everytime I have done that the house never smelled like paint. I let the part dry first though.

Refinished a buddies' AK47 in the oven with hiheat paint. Never would have know it was in there.

5. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

i always use the oven, it only smells for a little bit, its not bad smell but then paint and fuel fumes never bother me, so i dunno

i picked up another stove for free i can get aplliances for free we scrap them all the time, im gonna install it in the basement soon it will be my spare heater and parts baker

good luck

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

another use for the wood stove!!

I use my 55 gallon barrel wood stove to "cook" more than snacks in my shop!--I often put freshly painted items next to it,or hang them from a coathanger wire,to force dry them--I painted my plow frame with old oil base rustoleum,that usually takes hours to dry,next to the stove it was bone dry and hard as a rock in 45 minites!..
    .I like having the stove(s) for heat(I have 2 of them,one is a vertical,homemade one,and the other is made from the kits you can buy to convert the barrel to a stove,that lays down horizontally)--and I can burn all the cardboard boxes,motor oil containers,even used oil in small amounts,with no smoke or smell,,and some of our household trash and newspapers to help heat the shop,and save money on landfill costs...They can be a pain to keep full of wood though--some days I spend more time finding and cutting wood,and feeding the stove,than I spen actually working on my truck!:p:

I've also heated bearings up on the stove that required a press fit--just leave them on it until the grease in them starts to sizzle,put on your welding gloves,pick them up,and they slide right on nice,with no hammering --this was a real time and money saver when I was fixing lawn tractors,tecumseh motors had timken roller bearings on the cranks that can be a PITA to install the usual way....My friend at the junkyard once put an exhaust manifold in the stove and got the fire roaring--about 10 minites later,he fished it out of the bed of coals,and unscrewed the manifiold studs and emission tubes right out like nothing!..its almost like having a forge!!.:crazy: