Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

High Idle Adjustment w/cam?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 78k20, Mar 13, 2004.

1. 78k20

78k20 Registered Member

When I got the truck, it had sat for over 3 years without running-the carb was shot from dryrot so I had a local shop rebuild it and do some other fine tuning on it-what he called "tricks" to make the Q-jet run/perform better. The problem is, it idles at about 1,300RPM in park, then when put in gear, drops to around 900 or so. I'm not particularly happy about this-it seems way too high. They said it had to be that high because of the cam that's in it-if they drop it any lower, then it will run so rough I'll have a hard time at stoplights and such. I don't think this is entirely true-what/how should I fix this?

I don't know anything about this engine-it's a 350 that supposedly has an aftermarket cam, but has a stock intake, and now the carb has been rebuilt. Other than that, I don't know. I have a bunch of liquid drops blowing out the exhaust, which I assume is water from the 3" pipes (condensation). After putting my hand up against it then smelling it, there is a strong gas odor-is this from the idle too high? What should I do-is this something I can fix myself, or do I need to take it to a shop? I don't really buy that "high cam/must run higher" bit, as I had a K10 several years ago that I paid to have built-a mild 350 with intake/cam/carb, that put out about 325hp. That thing ran strong/hard yet only idled around 800rpm in park-never a problem in gear.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Again,

Mike

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Just try lowering the idle. If you can drive without stalling try to get it to 650 in gear at idle. I actually have mine go as low as 550 without stalling, even in a panic braking situation. The fast idle on pass side with the choke try to have that no higher than 1500 rom for engine warmup. The condensation is a by product of combustion, especially with cats on exhaust. Maybe a little rich but not bad. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. 78k20

78k20 Registered Member

So on the Q-jet, the high idle is on the passenger side, where exactly is the regular idle? There are a couple screws on there and I'm not sure which one to mess with. During warm up, it will climb to around 1,500 or so, maybe a touch higher, then drop down to around 1,200-1,300 where it stays. In gear is at 1,000 or so.

As for the exhaust-I don't have any cat's on there-headers, dual pipes to flowmasters then out the sides behind the tires. Everything is 3" pipe-does the water still sound normal, or is it more rich than it should be? How hard is this to adjust? Again, sorry for the dumb questions, I have NO knowledge what so ever on this stuff.

Oh-one more thing-I'm still running the stock air filter assembly that necks down to the -what-1.5"/2" hole maybe? Very restrictive it seems. Would it be wise to scrap that for a more open air element, or K&N-something like that?

Thanks Again for all the info!

Mike

4. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

The regular idle is on the drivers side , it is the stop for the linkage to rest against when throttle is let go. Turn it in to raise, let it out to lower. Since you have no cats and you get moisture , its running ok. Stock air cleaner is of if you have the cold air hose hooked up and good air filter. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif