Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

High Idle and Sticky Throttle

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by clubba68, Aug 28, 2003.

1. clubba68

clubba68 1/2 ton status

I have advanced timing on my truck (that's why it was backfiring before). Just found out yesterday because it started "dieseling" after I shut it off.
    A few days ago my idle went from 800rpm where I had it set up to about 1200rpm at idle. When I first turn the K5 on it will idle nicely at around 600 until it warms up to 800. It will sit at around 8-900 where I like it UNTIL I start driving. After I have moved with it in gear (manual transmission) and gotten it above 1200rpm, 1200 is as far down as it will go at idle (even after revving it to try to get it to drop back down to normal).
    Just last night I drove it over to my friend's shop (he's a mechanic) to do some work on it and have him check the loose steering. As soon as he drove it the accelerator started sticking. So I hopped in and gave it a spin and sure enough the accelerator is sticking and accelerating the car until you tap the pedal again. When the clutch is depressed the K5 will rev severely if you haven't hit the pedal to back it off. We sprayed the entire throttle linkage and around the carb with brake cleaner and then shot it with a little bit of WD-40 and re-routed some wires that looked like they may have been interferring with the linkage. We also adjusted the idle on the Carb. We thought we had it solved and I went on my merry way, and then the throttle stuck again and the idle went back to 1200rpm. I never figured out why. Looked at it again today and everything looks OK. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif I am not super mechanically inclined, but my friend is and it has him scratching his head /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif (or his chin as the case may be /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif).
    Thanks,
    Andrew /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

2. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

What kind of shape is the return spring in? Is it getting kind of weak? Did you lube the throttle cable too?

Kris

3. clubba68

clubba68 1/2 ton status

Didn't lube the throttle cable, and the return spring looks to be in good shape. It's strange because it continues accelerating and does not stop when I push the clutch in. Maybe it's just gets stuck really wide open.

4. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

I would try lubing the throttle cable. That might help.

Kris

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

The fast idle cam may be sticking on the carb,or perhaps the choke pull off isnt working or misadjusted.

6. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Very good possiblity of the throtle shaft bore being worn, causeing the throttle blades to get bound-up off idle.
    Fairly typlical of Q-jets and TBIs.
    "Popping" the thrttle, useualy resets the butter-flies and returns the engine to normal idle speeds.

To check:
    Engine off, Air cleaner off. Check for play or lash in the thrrottle shaft assembly by grabbing the throttle shaft and giveing it a wiggle.
    Any "wiggle" indicates a worn throttle shaft bore. The shaft should rotate freely, but there should be No vertical or horizontail movement atall.

A reputable shop, should be familure with the correct repair. Which is, boreing out the throttle body section of the carb, honeing it, and installing bronze bushings.

7. clubba68

clubba68 1/2 ton status

Any ideas on the cost of that procedure? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif