Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

High idle problem

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by joez, Jan 28, 2005.

1. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

Up until this last week i have had no trouble at all with the high-idle. I would start it, watch to make sure it had oil pressure, then go inside until it kicked out of high idle. Well, now high idle doenst like to work. I start it, it will stay in high idle for about 10 seconds, then kick out of it. Sometimes i can tap the throttle and it will go back into it, and if it does it kicks out of it right away. So i will leave it for 5 min or so, go back out to leave, and it kicks back into high idle when im driving. Its really starting to aggrevate me.

What i would like to know, is what controlls the high idle? Temp. Inhibit switch, or what? Bassically, i want to bypass whatever controlls it and put the fast idle on a switch, and since its 4* outside right now, i really dont feel like tracing wires and taking the IP appart to figure it out, i figured id ask before i did that.

2. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

It's too simple to go hacking up the system... You have a temp switch mounted on the pass side head with one wire in (12V ign) and one wire out going to the high idle solenoid mounted on the injection pump. You probably have a weak solenoid (most likely) or possible the temp switch is intermittently failing (but not as likely).

3. k5blazin

k5blazin 1/2 ton status

i dont even think my high idle solenoid works. i just give it a little gas when i start it and i let off the throttle after a few seconds and it idles like a charm.

4. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

After what it did tonight, it is definately the 'noid. And i just had this pump done a year ago too, oh well. Ill fix it when it gets warmer out.