Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

High Idle Problem.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Dunc03, Mar 28, 2006.

1. Dunc03

Dunc03 1/2 ton status

I went out mudding and went through a hole to fast and got mud and water up in the engine compartment. I didnt notice any ill affects then, but when I got back to the house it wouldn't come off high idle. Well I rebulit the carb thinking it was a sticking throttle plate or linkage. Fired it up and it still is idling about 1500+ RPMS. I adjusted the curb idle setting, screw backed all the way out, and it still didn't idle under 1200 or so.

I figured the mechanical or vacuum advance was sticking and making it rev up. I took the distributor apart and it didn't seem that anything was making it stick. It also didn't look like anything electronic had fried. Would the ignition control module make it rev higher if it received damage or would it just not start. There was mud on the inside of the dist. body under the cap, but it wasnt lodged into the control module or the pickup coil.

Other than idling to high it runs smooth and revs just like before. I'm about to go throw the dist. back together and see if that fixes anything, but I doubt it. If you guys have any experience with this or have a theory please let me know. Thanks

Tech stuff:

350/ Quadrajet M4ME / MSD Distributor with in cap coil/

2. broncoman6524

broncoman6524 1/2 ton status

CHeck for a vacuum leak.. while the motors running stick your hand on top of the carb if the motor rpm gets higher you've got a vacuum leak. If so grab a can of flammable brake cleaner and spray around the base of the carb till it revs. theres your leak.

3. Dunc03

Dunc03 1/2 ton status

got everything back together and it is still idling to high. It idles at about 1500 and then if you give it gas it will jump up and then idle at 1700. I checked for vacuum leaks and din't find any. Anyone else got any ideas on this.