Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

high idle!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bigbadchev84, Mar 7, 2005.

1. bigbadchev84

bigbadchev84 1/2 ton status

i have a 600cfm edelbrock on my 350, it has an electric choke and i cant get it to keep idling down, i have to mash the gas real quick and it will idle fine, i have tried messing w/ th choke, and i currently have it zip-tied open, it still didnt help! anyone have any ideas????

2. adamforsythe

adamforsythe 1/2 ton status

I think all 600cfm carbs to that. Heck mine does. I keep the idel high when I am warming the truck up. Then I pump the gas once to bring it down.
    Thanks
    Adam

3. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Thats how most carbs work . There is a little weight usually on the linkage of most domestic carbs , and a little tap of the pedal lets it fall . I would assume the carb the poster has whether it has a weight or not still needs a tap . Your right :k5: :k5:

4. bigbadchev84

it does it all the time even when it is warmed up, everytime i stop or slow down it idles really high and everyone looks to see, it is getting a little embarrasing, i have the same carb on my car and it works just like it is supposed too.

5. pauly383

If it keeps doing it after warm , look at the linkage and the choke , maybe somethings binding , your lucky in a sense that there isn't too much to your carb to go wrong . Start there at the choke linkage :k5: :k5:

6. adamforsythe

adamforsythe 1/2 ton status

Check to see if your return spring is still good.
    Thanks
    Adam

7. bigbadchev84

well what is the deal then, i have the choke tied open right now wouldnt that stop it?

8. pauly383

Depends , you can tie up the choke , but part of the linkage on that side will still move with the throttle shaft when you mash the gas . Something could still be binding or not on right . You can tie it open , but disconnect the linkage as well . See what that does , will tell you if its linkage related :k5: :k5:

9. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Might need adjusting. When I replaced the electric choke on my Edelbrock like your's it had to be adjusted. Been about 10 years now but I seems like I rotated the black plastic cover to set it. Just my $.02 worth.

Try looking up for adjustment instructions or directions for it. If that is the cause.

10. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Here is the new carb install instructions with choke adjustment details.

Clicky!

11. bigbadchev84

Ok im really getting anoyed, i have completely removed the electric choke, removed the high idle screw and have the choke flap wired open, its a bitch to start in the mornings, but it is still idleing high, i can tap the gas and it goes right back to 600rpm, drive it a block and come to a stop its on high idle again, tap the gas back to 600rpm, Can anyone help me!?!?!?!?

12. pauly383

If its all disconnected , double check the throttle linkage . I was just thinking , maybe , just maybe the throttle cable sleeve is catching the plastic shroud that it slides in by the carb . May not be , but that just came to me :k5: :k5: