Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

high idle

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by crithke, Jul 18, 2002.

1. crithke

crithke Registered Member

my 77 k5 idles at a very high rpm...too high. if i don't turn it off while it's in gear and then put it in park (meaning, if i turn it off while i'm in park) i get a clunking noise, which we all know isn't good

i was wondering if anyone knew how to slow down the rpms of the idle

thanks for any help

2. 74k5inVA

74k5inVA 1/2 ton status

turn the set screw. or when that doesn't work do what i do in my 74, put your foot under the gas pedal and pull it back /forums/images/icons/grin.gif but i have a bad linkage that i need to get fixed, and of course the vacuum advance on the distributor has probably seen better days.

3. crithke

crithke Registered Member

ok, i'll try some of that

i really need to get this fixed...it doesn't sound healthy when i turn it off

4. 73blazerUSMC

73blazerUSMC Registered Member

any vacume leak will cause your engin to idle wierd it also causes "dieseling" (thats probably the noise your hearing) to check for a vacume leak take a CLEAN LINT FREE rag and while the motor is running stuff it in the intake for the carb it sould bog down and die if it just bogs down but continues to run you have a vacume leak. i just broke the little gromet the goes into the power booster on my truck (which explained the reason i though my power booster was going to [censored]) which was causing my truck to do the same thing yours is idleing high and dieseling when i shut it off. just my 2 c