Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

high idle ?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by crwln73, Jan 21, 2003.

1. crwln73

crwln73 1/2 ton status

Ive got a buddy with a 83Jimmy.It has a stock 350 with a 700r4.Tranny was recently rebuilt.The problem is the thing is idles high.All the time not just when you first start it.It doesnt matter if your in gear or in park.I told him I would take a look at it.Where should I start.With the choke,the kick down cable or somewhere else. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. great scott

great scott 1/2 ton status

ya sure, see if the the idel screw is touching the tab on the drivers side of the carb, if it is ajust it down, if it's not check why, is the choke holding it open, or is it the linkage. it may even be a vac leek on a rich running engine

3. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

Check for vac leak.Could be sealing when it warms up.Had similar prob with TBI on 88.Dealer wanted to put several sencors on even though had no error codes.was throttle body gasket.found myself with can of WD-40.Spray a little on vac fittings and throttle shaft on carb.Idle will increase if leaking.Shadetree trick,but,it works /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Dumb comment,but,the engine should be running when you check.

4. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Either the chock might be slightly sticky or its just the idle screw. The fast idle-vacuum leak is only for the TBI. The TBI senses the lean condition and adds gas to compensate. A vacuum leak on a caburator will cause it to idle slower and poorer (lean).

5. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

I just had a prob. W/ the choke sticking on my truck. Easy to check.

John