Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

high lift jack?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by coolhandluke, Nov 9, 2001.

1. coolhandluke

coolhandluke 1/2 ton status

Well, I just got my k5, and it doesn't have a jack at all, so I'm going out tonight to get a high lift, my question is, if you hall this around every where you go, where do you store it? how do you secure it? where do you jack from if you gotta remove a tire?

sometimes nothing is a real cool hand

what we have here is a failure to communicate

2. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

I have the 60" cast hi-lift. Got it a few weeks ago at 4WPW for $60. Right now I store mine layiong across the rear just inside the tailgate. Just fits. I am getting ready to mount mine to the roof at the very back, just behind my roof rack. That way it doesn't take up room inside, can be securely mounted, and I can stand on the tailgate to get it down.

One thing I learned from hi-lifts years ago in my Jeep days, use the bumper to jack them up. If you have the factory bumpers, It is a lot easier with the bumper attachment. But jack using the bumper and all will be cool.

Brian
    Check out <a target="_blank" href=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com>My Jimmy</a> with all her projects!

3. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Just an FYI
    There are two types of HighLifts
    THe less expensive version has stamped steel parts combined with cast parts. Ususaly this one has a red handel and the jack itsef is black. I had one fail on me, the pins that do the climbing basically fell apart on me when I needed it most.
    The better one in my mind is the ALL cast version with a black handel. I have not had any issues with this one!

As far as using it on the trail you will find that sometimes you need to lift the rig from the rockers. Thats when a rockslider or even a nerf(scary)bar comes in handy for a place to lift the rig.

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Burt4x4>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Burt4x4</a>

4. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

I keep mine, which is older than I am and I am getting on to 33.
    Behind the rear seat. Then my gearbox and my tire is against that.
    I keep it all tied down with the chain that I carry and a binder.
    I used my hi lift yeserday to get shannons 14 bolt out.
    We had that sucker out from under that rig and into the back of Frank's rig in about an hour. [​IMG]

<font color=green> Too bad ignorance isn't painful </font color=green>

5. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Here is where mine is http://tellicok5.rockcrawler.com/photo3.html I don't have the drawings of the brackets up anymore but, (needed more room for pics) these shots tell the story fairly well. If you want the drawings I will see if I didn't delete them.

Jim '80 GMC & '73 Blazer
    Body by Tellico
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.tellicok5.rockcrawler.com>www.tellicok5.rockcrawler.com</a>

6. coolhandluke

that's Perfect Big J bear. I was looking for someone to mount it inside, out of the elements, but not clutter up the interior, if you still have those bracket pics, I'd love to see them, you can just email them to
    ljalbert@ci.addison.tx.us

7. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

clicky
    My Jimmy with all her projects!

8. coolhandluke

cool, thanks.

9. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

I've got some brackets made up that will bolt to the frame under the hood. I will be putting it under on the stands, and then just loosen a couple wing nuts, and it is out! [​IMG]

I love the idea because the jack is completely out of the way, and yet you got it somewhere that will protect it from mud, and the elements. I haven't installed the brackets yet (they are made up) because I first want to get a 60" highlift, and use the 48" in my other k5. I need to find out if the 60" will fit under the hood, and if not I'll use the brackets in my other k5.

<font color=blue> Jeff - may the force be with you</font color=blue>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Jeffs-Stuff>link to k5's</a>

10. coolhandluke

that's what I originally was thinking, do you make the brackets? what do they look like, if you ever get pics, I'd love to see them

11. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

I had a friend help me make them up... I'm almost done cleaning my shop (yea!!!), and I'll get some pic's... (the won't be bolted on, but I can set them where they go and snap some pics too)

<font color=blue> Jeff - may the force be with you</font color=blue>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Jeffs-Stuff>link to k5's</a>

12. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

I took two "L" brackets and mounted them to the driver side wheel well in the inside cargo area. And sandwiched the Hi-Lift between the 2 brackets. Like this _I ** I_

** Jack goes here
    I could take a pic if you want

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.community.webshots.com/user/vwryda>My Webshots Page</a>

13. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I have my spare tire mounted inside, so I put my high lift behind my spare, under the mounts that way it stays in place. I can still move around and easy to get to, but it is safer then just sitting in the back free. Also I would find yourself a stock still jack too. Mine saved my A$$ last time I went out. I had to use it to lift my tranny/tcase combo back into place after the tcase crossmember sheared off the frame. Without the stock jack I would have been screwed.

My Chevy isn't broken, its just out of gas.

14. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I carry (or rather used to) a cheap scissor jack (got it out of a junk Pinto I think) for such things. Fits into very small spaces and has 16"(??) or so of lift. Very usefull for things like that. Flattened out it take up almost no room at all. Much better than the little stock screw thing IMHO.

Russ

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, 205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked
    Some day: 4" lift, 44" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

15. Gopherkiller

Gopherkiller 1/2 ton status

I agree with some of the other posts about using another type of jack if you can. I have 4 high lift jacks. One is so old it has a wooden handle. They have gotten me out of situations that I would have never though over the years. The only advice that I can add is, NEVER sit, or stand in back of your jack while doing your thing. Why? When you wake up next to your High Lift Jack (with a big knot on your head,) you will understand. GOPHERKILLER

16. J.C.Staley

J.C.Staley Registered Member

I've mounted my high lift on my SEC rear bumper. One suggestion. Use the high lift only as a last resort. Buy a decent bottle jack for changing tires and things like that. A high lift can be a life saver in the right circumstances but it can be a life taker if you are not careful and pay very close attention to what you are doing.

17. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

yup, i agree, mine gave me the ole "beotch slap" just today. they will definitely slap you like your momma never did!!!

rob

350 TBI, 700R-4, NP241, D44-14FF, 4:10's, 38.5 TSL/SX's, full conv., full cage
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.yeild2me.rockcrawler.com>www.yeild2me.rockcrawler.com</a>

18. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

No doubt the handle can get you and bumper jacks have never been known for their stability, but the Hi-Lift is great on a steep incline - just winch/chain the truck to a tree, rock, other truck, ect and it will be stable. I had my choice of a bottle jack or Hi-Lift when I blew a sidewall on a verry steep hill and the the choice was easy. There is no way a bottle jack would have worked at that angle.

Jim '80 GMC & '73 Blazer
    Body by Tellico
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.tellicok5.rockcrawler.com>www.tellicok5.rockcrawler.com</a>

19. MOABDADC22

MOABDADC22 1/2 ton status

Here is a pic of how I mounted mine to my tailgate. http://www.moabdadc22.alloffroad.co... remove body panels, paint, tail lights..etc.