Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

High Miles

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bigboy, Dec 17, 2005.

1. bigboy

bigboy Registered Member

Well my friends 1990 dodge ram 2500 with a cummings finally turned 999,986 miles on the original motor so tomarow he will have a million miles on the 6cyl cummings motor. I know its not chevy but thats a lot of miles.

2. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

No doubt about that. That's a boatload of miles. Holy cow. How's the rest of the truck holding up? Those trucks usally rust alot too.

3. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Wow. A million miles. I know if at least nothing ELSE wore out , the seat has to be worn out after 1 million miles. :). 1 million miles, 15 years... thats 66k miles a year. Thats over 180 miles a day.

4. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

That's kinda what I was thinking. You need to move.:D That is a lot of miles on an engine.

5. dave_90_blazer

dave_90_blazer 1/2 ton status

have him take a pic at 999,999 and at 1,000,000(all zeros probably)

6. Ben B.

Ben B. 1/2 ton status

That thing must be crazily weak....

7. bigboy

bigboy Registered Member

actually the truck is in decent shape had new floor boards but the bed is rusted thru and the wheel wells have quite a bit of rust on them. The truck still runs strong we(used as farm truck) pull hay,straw,cattle,hogs,ect... with it. We have a tri axle trailer that we put about 285 bales of hay on at 75-85lbs per bail plus trialer and have no problem pulling it and we make at least a 150 mile trip with the trailer loaded every saturday and thursday and he uses it to pull other stuff for himself like his bobcat, escavator, hay wagons ect.. no offence but it will smoke my blazer with a 350 all stock

Oh yeah forgot to mention it is his daily driver also and has been since it was brand new he lives about 30miles north of town and drives to the farm wich is about 5miles south of thown and 7 miles east of town every morning and then drives to his work which is in Indianapolis which is about 55 miles south of the farm and then back every day

8. sledheadak

sledheadak 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

sure your not looking at the 10ths also? if not thats a ton of miles.

9. Geargrinder

Geargrinder 1/2 ton status

I work with a guy that Dodge told him (@ 374,000mi) if he maid it to 400,000mi they would install free of charge a new motor in his truck so they could tear down/inspect his. He got his FREE new engine @ 403,700 and the old one was still STRONG when they pulled it. I gess they do that sort of thing for R&D of what makes 'em last. I thought it was weird thoe, since it's a CUMMINS engine, not made by Dodge. Am I right on that?

10. dave_90_blazer

dave_90_blazer 1/2 ton status

yeah, but it was probably cummings that wanted it.............

11. bigboy

bigboy Registered Member

Yes I am sure and im sure he is sure since I bought it NEW off the lot and has had it since

12. bigboy

bigboy Registered Member

My friend was/is going to send a letter or e-mail to cumming and tell this what milage he has on his truck and see what they have to say.

13. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

That is good news to me since I just bought an 05' w/ the CTD. Please get a pic for us so we can prove to all the doubters ;)

14. chrisb420

chrisb420 1/2 ton status

there was a subaru dealer down the street from me when i lived in delaware that had a car in the showroom with a million miles on it they traded the owner a brand new outback for it so they could display it .

15. bigboy

bigboy Registered Member

He is spose to get pics and give them to me if not I will take pics and try to see if I can get them onto the computer

16. bear76

bear76 1/2 ton status

Maybe I should talk to Chevy, my 91 1500 PU has 312k (305) and my K5 (350) has 260K all original miles.

17. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

My '83 S10 with a 2.8 has 265,000 on the clock. I got it from the original owner last year and I've personally put 35,000 of those miles on it myself in about 9 months. :eek1: I get a healthy 27.7 mpg avg. out of that bad boy w/ no overdrive. :D

18. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Go ahead and write a letter, but you might want to call them Cummins, not Cummings.

[​IMG]

Drives me nuts, kinda like when people try to say Nuclear like "Nucular"

1,000,000 is pretty dang good, especially for a parent bore engine. These big dogs with liners go about 600,000 before a rebuild.