Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

HIGH MPG car

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 84gmcjimmy, May 10, 2005.

1. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I know this should be in the car forum (forget the name) but this place gets more traffic...

What cars are really effiecent on gas? With really high MPG rating? The only thing is it can't be a newer car...something more affordable.
    Any ideas? Perferably one that is american made (easier for getting parts)
    Sooo.... effiecent is the main thing...fire away!

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Diesel Rabbit (or Golf) or TD Jetta.

All get 50-60 mpg (Imperial gallon of course)

Rene

3. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

bigger= less mpg
    smaller = more

get a scoter

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

my Saturn gets 30 mpg. You can do better in a more fun package, but for $700 :D

5. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

We had a Geo Metro once when my wife and I were carpooling, and driving a lot of miles. It got about 44 mpg, and never gave me a moment of trouble. Tires were cheap too.. and it saved the mud grips (by not having to drive them) on our K10 & K5. Other than that car, everything else I've owned had a T-case.

6. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

I'm looking for a toyota corolla right now...they are pretty common so parts should be cheap. Should get great milage too. Will be quite the change after driving the k5 all my life.

7. tucsonkfive

tucsonkfive 1/2 ton status

Just bought a 92 Subaru that gets 30 mpg with the a/c running for $500. :thumb:

8. BLZN4FN

BLZN4FN 1/2 ton status

I have a 1995 Geo Metro gets approx 40 to 50 mpg. Not a chick magnet
    but keeps the wear and tear off the F350 and helps on the check book when refueling.
    Look on E-bay good deals on Geo's and parts.

9. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

98 civic 5 speed. 32-37 MPG.

10. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[​IMG] My 2000 Oldsmobile Alero GLS coupe with the 3.4 V6 gets 30+ MPG's. [​IMG] Looks kind of sporty. [​IMG] I like it, it's fun too drive for a FWD car.

11. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

My old Toyota Tercel got 45mpg on the highway, never gave any trouble at all, and was dirt cheap. Brand new it was only 7K. Nice, clean used ones go for 2K and under.

12. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

a geo metro with a 5 speed. the autos get crappy MPG for a car like that. the 5 speed is a lil more fun to toss around on wet roads also.... disposable also...
    Grant

13. aealliarmy

aealliarmy Registered Member

excellent suggestion

14. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I had a 1994 that got the same type of mileage. Graet cars - last forever and a simple design. Parts are easy to come by and relatively cheap.

15. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

my dad and brother drive tons of miles and they love the Chevy caviler on all 4 we have owned we got 160k to 180k with NO PROBLEMS just some maintains --- as a role we replace the alt and water pump, t stat at 100K

good gas mileage and cheep allso trouble free

16. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

get a mini kick ass car and it gets 35 MPG easy:)
    they have quite a few in canada

17. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I had a diesel Jetta...

And I wish I still had it!..it was an 86,bought it from a friend for 100 bucks!--I drove it for 5 years,and I bet I spent only 150 bucks on parts(it needed a new clutch--when I tore it down,I found out it HAD a brand new one already!--the disc had lost the "anti chatter" springs--I put all new parts in so I would not have to do it twice!)...other than that,it was a great little car!--it could have used new struts all around,but it had NO rust at all,and it must have been college students car all its life--it had Texas University stickers on it,and bridge tokens from Delaware in the glove box!--

It had 253,000 miles when I sold it,only the timing belt and one glow plug failed the whole time I had it--the timing belt snapped while it was running,and though it seemed to run OK after I replaced it,I was told the valves MUST have gotten bent at least slightly--so after I ran it another 3000 miles and it started to skip,I sold it to the junkyard I get all my parts at for 100 bucks :( --I later heard they sold it for 500! :blush: ---I really miss that thing--40+mpg,I could ride around all day for 5 bucks!--but it was a bit scary on the interstate when you were near semi's--I was always afraid of becoming a wheel chock or dying in it in a crash...if traffic here wasn't so crazy,I'd have kept it...

Good luck finding a car that gets good mileage cheap now!--here,even beaters that need work bring 1000 bucks easy,when last fall you would be lucky to get 500 for one...the law of supply and demand... :crazy:

18. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

I hear ford pintos get good mileage even though they're carb'd. If you could find one I bet you could get it cheap lol. They are in the "so gay they are cool" category. I hear they are fairly fast too. Oh yah, I have a 74 but its blocked in my shop by the immobile trail bitch I'm building, it hasnt been run in god knows how long anyway so o well...

19. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Why are they disposable? cheap or something?

I love minis (always wanted one) but they are too small for what I want...plus I don't think I could get used to the steering on the right side :crazy:

Wow! I'll check ebay for a rough estimate on prices...
    Are they reliable or do they break down a lot? (ie good car or piece of crap?)

Those are pretty reasonably priced...not that bad looking either. Did all the deisels get 50-60MPG or just certain years?

Geo metro...manual:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6242&item=4548235956&rd=1
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6242&item=4549337087&rd=1
    Not bad price either...were they all 5 speeds...or was there different speeds for different years?

Tercel:
    A little bit pricier than the other ones...but this is a bit better looking, and newer...

VW Jetta: I dont know if this is one of those fake prices...but that seems really cheap for such a new vehicle:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6021&item=4549202582&rd=1

What cars are FWD and what ones are RWD? What is better for fuel economy?
    thanks

20. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

2dr firefly (forget the manufacturer) in the newspaper for 700 bucks...it says 50 MPG :blush:
    If only I had 700 bucks!
    any more input?