Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

High oil pres.?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by REDhot-82Blazer, Sep 7, 2005.

1. REDhot-82Blazer

REDhot-82Blazer Newbie

This is in regards to my new motor because the oil pressure is peged out at 60 and after 30 seconds oil streems down betwen the oil pan and the inspection cover. This a new motor with a new oil pump and new filter what is going on is it the oil pump I just need some help. thanks a lot.

2. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

sure you sealed up the back of the manifold good? I had a little leak between the manifold and block, so oil was comin up from the lifter valley. Dab of silicone, and no leaks.

3. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Also , did you remember the plugs on the back of the block ?

Seen it happen before .

4. RustyParts

RustyParts 1/2 ton status

Relief valve stuck in oil pump???

5. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

I had that too. There's a port on the back of the block, level with the intake manifold mating surface. It's a direct line up for your oil pressure sensor. If that is missing or the threads weren't doped, it will leak like a stuck pig. Mine was leaking, but I pulled it and used plumber's dope on it and the leak went away. USE THE DOPE, NOT TEFLON TAPE. Teflon tape is ok, but does not fill as well as the dope.

Relief valve stuck is pretty uncommon, especially in a new motor. If it was stuck closed, the filter would probably blow up.

6. REDhot-82Blazer

REDhot-82Blazer Newbie

Thanks for all the help I am probly going to buy a new oil pump like a morso or something like that. I checked all of the seals on the back and the presure sending unit. every thing is good and in tip top shape there is a bypass valve so the oli filter dose not explode. I have been wating for weeks to drive and it is so close. i cant wait to show off my truck. my passangers door is messed up from crawling but it is not my door so I dont care. wish i could show some pick but I am not a offical member. I am so poor, I have a six inch lift on my truck but i can only aford to run 33 hoping to get a promotion and get some 35.

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Why would you replace the pump when you have excellent pressure already??

8. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

Is It A High Pressure Pump

If you have a high volume high pressure pump then it will peg the gauge and it's normal. After it get nice and hot and you drive it a little it will go down at idle but commonly hits the 50-60 psi and above when cold and at high rpm's. Especialy on a new motor with tight clearances on the bearings.

9. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

O yeh another leak I had after I drove the truck a little, the bolts holding down the valve covers loosened and I had a leak down the back of the motor.