Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

High Oil Pressure

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by SuperUnknown, Feb 15, 2001.

1. SuperUnknown

SuperUnknown 1/2 ton status

I am getting an unusually high oil pressure reading on my gauge. I have checked the basic things like the oil level and the crank case ventalation, but everything seems to be fine.
    Any ideas on the problem and how to fix it? The engine is a stock 350, with TBI, in a 88 if that helps.

Aluminum running boards, rock sliders, same thing.

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Do you have a PCV valve connected to a vacume source?
    I seam to remember reading something about something to do with the distributer gear type or something down there that can change of effect oil pressure???Sorry I know that doesn't help!! Anyone know what I'm tring to say or remember???
    Good Luck

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com>http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com</A>

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Well pressure is dependant on the volume of oil being pumped and the resistance to flow. No resistance, no pressure. Lots of resistance, high pressure. Could be some blockage somewhere. Then again your guage might be hooped. If you don't have one get a good quality mechanical guage.
    How high is the pressure now? What is it normally?

Rene

[​IMG]

4. Peeetah

Peeetah Registered Member

I thought that was good.

I put in a high volume pump in my Jimmy and I run 70 psi consistently. I thought high oil pressure was good?

5. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Re: I thought that was good.

To high can be bad as well. But for chevy you can safely use 10 psi for every 1000 rpm's. S if your engine redlines at 5500, then 55 psi would be a good round number for your oil pressure. But for a stock 350, you should be in the ball park of 35-55. Mine runs at idle about 35 and about 45 when driving.

when was the last time you changed your filter? You may have gotten some trach in there. Or the sensor that activates or controls the guage could be going bad. There are 2 sensors, 1 that measures the pressure and one that watches that sensor to turn the check guages light on.
    I would check the pressure sensor, or just go ahead and replace it. They dont cost very much.

thats my 2 cents but you may have some deeper issues. But I like to start cheap on the trouble shooting and work my way up.

Will work for beer, parts and tools.
    90 Jimi,350/700R4/241/10bolts/4.10's/33's/4"
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com>http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com</A>

6. SuperUnknown

SuperUnknown 1/2 ton status

The crank case venting is hooked to lots of little hoses, and vacume stuff, I think this is part of the emmitions control. I just changed to oil about two months ago, and put in a new filter.
    It may not even be a problem, I am just asumming there is one because the pressuer gauge is full out all the time no mater what rpm the enging is running at. This is about 400 kpa, sorry I don't know what that is in psi. Also the truck has a stock oil cooler, maybe this is just normal operation?

Aluminum running boards, rock sliders, same thing.