Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

High output alt./ power inverters

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by anatomiczero, Oct 21, 2002.

1. anatomiczero

anatomiczero 1/2 ton status

After reading the thread about powering a welder with an inverter I started to think about how useful an inverter can be. My battery stays around 16-17 volts when the engine is above idle, then when idling it's around 13 and the headlights dim. Should I get a higher output alternator? Which one should I get? I may also be getting an amp for my rear speakers too. thanks.

2. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Er.. your measuring amps? with or without a load?

Your alternator should put out at least 40-50 amps. STOCK.

3. anatomiczero

anatomiczero 1/2 ton status

I mean volts, I think... Whatever is displayed by the gauge in my dash.

4. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

That would be volts. 13 is fine. But, for amperage, you need to find what your alternators output is. If you start adding stuff you will start needing more than what it can handle and burning out the regulator. In my opinion, get a bigger alt. I'm running a 225 amp.

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Check your battery voltage with a good voltmeter. 16-17 volts is WAY too high. It should read about 12.6 volts with the engine off and 13.6 to 14.2 volts with the engine running. The voltage regulator is temperature compensated, so the colder the outside temp, the more voltage it will have the alternator put out. But 14.2 volts is about the highest you should ever see. Any more than that and the voltage regulator in your alternator is shot.

Running with the voltage that high can cause other electrical parts on your truck to burn out. It's possible that your factory gauge is just reading wrong, so check with a good voltmeter before you swap any parts.