Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

High output alternator rebuild kits

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jcg, Jan 8, 2003.

1. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

I remember reading an article about a rebuild kit you could get for a GM alternator that converted it to a high output setup. The kit included new bearings and and a rear case, as well as the upgraded internals to handle the new current output. I think the kits were around $150?? The only problem is that I can't remember where I read it. I know it was in one of the major 4x mags but I can't find all my back issues. Has anyone got any idea who sells these kits and if they're any good?? Thanks!

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

3. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

Yup that's exaclty what I was looking for! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Ok, now does anyone have any idea if the kits are any good?? For $80 it seems like a great way to get a 140 amp alternator, but you would think that everyone would have them if that was the case /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif Even if you buy a complete unit from them it's only $190 for 170 amp output, thats like $200 cheaper than any others I've seen. There's got to be a catch to it??