Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

High output alternator

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Bubba Ray Boudreaux, Jun 4, 2003.

1. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Where to go, links, what's good, what to stay away from.................I'm in need of one, drown me with info. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. got_mud

got_mud 1/2 ton status

how many amps do you need? how many amps do you want? single wire self fielding or multi wire? there are plenty available in a stock form. biggest delco out there will be a 140 amp cold field unit for an IROC Z or police rated caprice or tahoe. bosch makes a 165 amp unit, but i couldn't reverse the catalog information to an application. some car stereo places have access to larger units, upwards of 285 amps, but they tend to have low life spans and require lots of rf shielding.

3. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

<--wants a police caprice

4. MousePowrd

MousePowrd 1/2 ton status

Summit has 200 amp ones.

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

6. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

88 up RV series Burbs and crews have BIG alternators. My 88 is rated 105 amps. It should plug and play if you change the pulley out. My buddy runs a Alternator off a road tractor. It's 190 amps and a really low RPM. It's very reliable becuase of the application. Problem is it's HUGE! Would have to make some custom brackets for it.

7. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Wrangler NW has a couple high-amperage units. One requires a special adapter bracket that they provide.

What year is your Blazer (nice use of your profile /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif)?
    If it is a serpentine make sure you go for an alt that has upgraded bearings. The stock bearing are inadequate for the tension of the serpentine system. Almost every alt problem I have had was due to front bearing failure....

8. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

I have a A/C delco from a series 60/70 truck. It's rated at 160 amp. It uses the same wire hook up as the standard alternater. It is the same width, but 1/2 inch taller. I elongated the upper mount where it bolts to water pump and spaced out the bolt that goes to intake. I used the stock lower mount AND the stock lower bolt spacer! This is almost a direct bolt in and reman was only 100.00! (for me anyways) I checked with the company's that make the on board welders and It is COMPATABLE with their systems.

9. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Hey Bubba, you should wait until after BF, there's a Powermaster gift certificate in the raffle. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif </font>

10. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

At first I had a custom built alt. I went to an AutoElectic shop that rebuilt all kinds of stuff and they charged me 100 bucks for a Tweeked &amp; Peeked 120amp bolt in alt. Well few years passed on by and the LED in my cab went out(Hellroaring) So my alt was dead(turned out too be the regulator after the fact) and I bought a 140amp PowerMaster One wire 140 amp fer 150smakers....two weeks later it died /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif
    BUTT
    PowerMaster /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif had great customer service and they replaced the Alt and the replacement has surived to this day(all last summer wheenin wich included at ride out to Moab and back /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif)
    /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

11. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

Go junkyarding for one with a black back half instead of aluminum color. 99% of those are 140amp ones and are the same size as yours. Can never beat a Delco alternator.

Other than that, go looking in large vehicles, especially those that had plows on them before. Like all alternators, they'll be stamped with their rating. A good chunk of vehicles with plows had 100 amp alternators. It seems a good chunk of firstgen S10 Blazers had 85 or 100 amp alternators.

Ambulances are the best place to look for a high-amp alternator. Some of them have odd cases though.

Other than that, look in any commercial vehicle like a fleet vehicle or a city vehicle.

12. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

[ QUOTE ]
    What year is your Blazer (nice use of your profile )?

[/ QUOTE ]

I was 'bout to tell ya to go have carnal relations with homo farm animals, glad you pointed that out to me, I totally forgot about it /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    Hey Bubba, you should wait until after BF, there's a Powermaster gift certificate in the raffle.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I would, but 1. Bubba doesn't win the good chit and 2. I've got to throw on the Ford 3.8L fan before the 'Fest and I know that my alt, which is dying in the first place ain't gonna push this fan. Don't know if it really can give ya an idea, but when I brought these fans home, the only wire I had laying around was 14 gauge. So I did a quick hook up and within 5 seconds, the 14 ga. was too hot to handle. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    At first I had a custom built alt. I went to an AutoElectic shop that rebuilt all kinds of stuff and they charged me 100 bucks for a Tweeked &amp; Peeked 120amp bolt in alt. Well few years passed on by and the LED in my cab went out(Hellroaring) So my alt was dead(turned out too be the regulator after the fact) and I bought a 140amp PowerMaster One wire 140 amp fer 150smakers....two weeks later it died
    BUTT
    PowerMaster had great customer service and they replaced the Alt and the replacement has surived to this day(all last summer wheenin wich included at ride out to Moab and back )

[/ QUOTE ]

I sure wish y'all Valley peeps would remember these places. I called every friggin place in Fresno one day and found one shop that would do it, $160. Not my idea of dropping change.......Luckily for this the wife has given me a bigger budget (our budget talks are worse than politicians sometimes) so I can get the darn thing done...............

Oh, I forgot, the flex fan got bent at Raines along with the lower radiator shroud (which has been replaced) shattered so I would feel better about having a straight fan for the road trip................

13. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I got it IN Cambell in the Gay area, there is a shop right next to hwy17 hmmm wait I think that number got changed to the Hwy?? well anyawy there is a Jack In The Box right there and a Silk Plant factory/Store I think the name was AutoElectric in Cambell, Maby some of the LosGatos/Cambell area folks know were I mean....?
    Sorry Bubba it was over 6yrs ago and well /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

14. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    What year is your Blazer (nice use of your profile )?

[/ QUOTE ]

I was 'bout to tell ya to go have carnal relations with homo farm animals, glad you pointed that out to me, I totally forgot about it /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Now why do need to bring my weekend activities into this post?!?! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

15. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

[ QUOTE ]
    Now why do need to bring my weekend activities into this post?!?!

[/ QUOTE ]

Beats me /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

16. BIGRIG

BIGRIG 1/2 ton status

86 buick park ave. all options...if this aint it its close look for the same type of car have part #'s if needed. 110 amps fits in stock small bracket and is like 50$ for lifetime /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif. cheap easy and good. I've had mine for 3 years two elec fans,headlights, amps, wipers, 6 offroad lights, and it does perfect. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

17. ds350

ds350 1/2 ton status

Burt this is the place you are talking about??? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Auto Lectrics Alternators
    1360 White Oaks Rd # D, Campbell, CA 95008
    Phone: (408) 559-3540

Danny

18. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Ya I think so!
    What the heck is the name of that rd that goes under Hwy17 right there by that JackIn the Box. Bascom? if you go under the Hwy it turns into hmmm shoot it is an Expresway taht is called....??? Man I really forgot about my old stomping grounds....I need a map ...bee back soon...

19. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

20. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

hmmmmm now i have a question.... will be stupid but that is expected from me.... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

i just put a 1991 caprice police motor in my truck. ditched all the serpentine stuff and the tbi..... no i dont still have it.... i also threw out the alternator... was told that since my truck doesnt use that much power that the high output alternator would blow up my battery... is that true?
    cuz if not i know where i can get about 5 of them... so i should be able to find 1......

just curious....
    thanks