Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

high output alternators

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by malachi, Jul 28, 2001.

1. malachi

malachi Registered Member

Anyone running a high output alternator? Which is the best one? Can you run one with just one battery or will it hurt the battery? Any help would be great thanks.

2. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

I have a Powermaster 140 amp alt and it works great w/ the direct charge wire. I got a great price from keith here on CK5. He works for autoaccessory.com

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm>http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm</a>

3. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

Oh yeah... I have a single AC Delco battery setup and it works fine

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm>http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm</a>

4. CCRider

CCRider 1/2 ton status

I just put in an Iceberg 180 amper for 198$ shipping included , It's the big delphi unit they put in cop cars and stuff!! needed to modify the rear bkt. on my 91 though. alternator works great!!Single battery for now . but will be going to dual soon!!CC find at icebergalternators.com

1991 Fullsize 5 1/2"lift, 37"ssr's,10Bolt8 lug , 14Bolt ff, 4:56 Detroit rear, 12"fr. 14"r Bilstein remote res.350 P.F.I , 700r4 , 241c W/ sye

5. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Alternators are self-regulating, they only charge as much as needed to keep the battery topped off. So, it shouldn't make a difference if they are wired to one battery or two

For example; At an engine RPM of 2000. Put a 8 amp load on the battery- the alt should put out aprox. 8 amps or better. If there is a 100 amp load, the alt. will put out 100 amps (if it is rated that high)

Also, a alternator's output is dependent on engine RPM, the higher the RPMs the higher the out-put. Up to 2000 or so, past that, the out-put flatens out. That is why some people use a idle-up cylinoid. to increase engine speeds when useing winches or other electrical items w/a high amp load.

Twiztid

6. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I just put on a WranglerNW (.com) on mine with the 0/1 wiring harness....wires are bigger than most jumper cables....several guys in here are running Powermasters and Wranglers, some with dual Batts and isolators, so you will get several opinions....the Wrangler is a direct bolt in, good quality piece...I will add the dual Batt setup in the near future...I run a 400watt Alpine/Fosgate, and sometimes an Inverter.....I got something like $250 invested in my setup....lots of opinions on this, but there are several quality suppliers to choose from....

Stuck?...Hell no..I still got some gas left..

7. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

I was speaking to Parts Mike last week, and talk got onto alternators. He has a guy that builds them to put out lots of amp at low speed, unlike the other high rated alternators that don't really begin to put out until higher Rs. Anyway, he quoted me $110 for a GM 160 amp model, with a full warranty. Kinda beats the snot outta that 100 amp Powermaster I bought for $100, and the 140 amp PM for $140+, or whatever they are. Think I'll order me one up!!

ken

8. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

I'm one of those guys that is running a WranglernNW alternator - 135 amp with the direct charge cable that is huge. If I remember correctly, it puts out 80 amps at idle (we tested it when we got done with my motor rebuild last fall for $hits and giggles), have had it now about 3.5 years and I am extremely happy with it. That said, I would go down the path like Ken is with a lower cost high output unit.............because if I remember correctly my Wrangler unit cost about $250! It is a very high quality piece and I can trust it.

Going to dual batteries and an isolator as soon as I can gather the pieces.............

<font color=blue>'79 ONE TON TPI K5 - See it at---&gt;<a target="_blank" href=http://www.blazzinor.alloffroad.com>www.blazzinor.alloffroad.com</a>