Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

High Output Alternators

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by kpanza, Jan 15, 2001.

1. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Does anyone have any experience with the high output alternators? I am considering a PowerMaster unit, a 140 amp and also a 200 amp unit. I know that I have seen some posts about Wrangler products, but they seem much more expensive. I would like to know if anyone has the 140 amp versions (of either model) and if they are enough to run your electrical equipment?? I have the usual:PIAA driving lights, big Explorer 100W Off Road lights, cd player, amp, winch, compressor, backup lights, rock sidelights, etc, etc It has been a problem for a while, my volt meter really takes a dive when I have a combo of these on, especially at night when my headlights are on. The other night I was up in the mountains in a snowstorm, so I had my heater on (huge draw!), the Explorer 100watters, the PIAAs, the stereo, headlights and occasionally the backup lights (also 100 watters). If I came to a stop, the volt meter just took a dive (even at speed it barely went to about 10-11 volts) and all the accessories dimmed and barely worked (no power windows, etc)...I have the supposedly "high output" Kragen model that I bought a few years ago after my old one went South on me...do you think the 140 amp will be enough? It has 100 amps at idle (higher than my supposedly high output's "94")...

I would love to know anyone's personal experience!! I am not afraid of sucking it up and laying out the cash for the 200 amp if that is what I need, but the 140 amp model is over $200 cheaper than the 200 amp, so that would be nice to save the coin!!

Thanks Guys,

Keith

2. Gopherkiller

Gopherkiller 1/2 ton status

I am going to get a high ouput alternater for my outfit. My main concern is bearings. The company that I getting mine from told me the bearings can be gotten at NAPA. That's what goes bad in the GM crap. It it a larger case, and will come with a new bracket and pulley. They told me it will idle at 100 amps, and go to 175 amps at full output. It has an exteral regulater. All parts for this thing will be avilible forever I guess. (These things are used on firetrucks etc.) About $325.00 GOPHERKILLER

3. MTPockets

MTPockets 1/2 ton status

i have a high output alt on my k5. i bought it from pep boys. its a 120 amp unit for a late model caprice. i went to discount auto parts for the plug adaptor. i run four hellas up front, two rocklights, cd player, heater, high beams, and wipers and havent had a problem yet. plus, everything cost under $120.
    good luck,
    MTPockets

4. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Hey man, I'm running the 140 amp Powermaster alternator right now. 1/0 welding cable and a redtop Optima battery. Its been on there for a couple months and I really like the setup. They sent me a kindof birth certificate along with it showing that it had been individually tested. It did 99 amps at idle and 151 maximum.
    I can run both of my 130 watt lights at idle and the voltmeter doesn't even move.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

5. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Gopherkiller,

What company are you getting yours from?? That sounds like a good one. I had heard of people getting the ones that they put on ambulances and other emergency vehicles, but that it was tough to actually get them from the store...I have 1/0 cables on the battery and to the remote starter solenoid I installed (from MAD Enterprises - really nice guy and quality stuff). Do you guys use 1/0 for the alternator charge wire?? Or something smaller? I am close to getting that Powermaster 140 amp version, but I just want to make sure that it can handle all of the stuff with no problems, if not, it's probably worth it in the long run to maybe get the 200 amp version...Also, when you put in the large case versions, does someone make a custom bracket to make it fit? When I talked to Powermaster they said that I would have to cut my bracket and custom brace it to fit...

Thanks guys, appreciate the help!

6. Gopherkiller

Kapanza, Mine is comming from Wrangler Power Products (www.wrangler.com) They make their own alternaters. Like the guy told me, "you can get any alternater to put out hi amps, but how long will they last?" I plan on keeping my oufit for a while, and don't want to have to replace the alt! GOPHERKILLER

7. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

What model is that Gopherkiller? I have their catalog and price sheet, and when I looked, I didn't see any that were around $325??? If they are I would probably do that. Can you give me the exact model number? Thanks. And you say that they sell you the special bracket with that? Thanks for any info...

Keith (kpanza)

8. BIGRIG

BIGRIG 1/2 ton status

If you want a 140 AMP cheap and easily accecible-- your local autoparts store carries them for a late model 93 or so caprice(taxi or police opt) 140 amp/ac delco reman. All you need is the bracket off a late model car or truck that uses the cs style alt. and the adapter from the parts store to change the plug.

goodluck
    Chris

MY DRINKING TEAM HAS A FOUR WHEELING PROBLEM!

9. Gopherkiller

Kpanza, The alternater part # is CS-144(155amp, 100amp at idle.) P-8126 machined pulley(surpantine belt.) And O-27D adapter bracket. It would run about $325.00 shipped to me. I just have seen to many problems with the bearings on the GM alts, including a bad fire! GOPHERKILLER

10. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

What year truck do you have Gopherkiller? You use a serpentine belt? Was that after '88?? I would still need the v-belt, mine is an '87. So, they give you a custom bracket to mount it? And they are rated at 100 amps at idle? I like that!! Did you order it direct from Wrangler?? Anyone to talk to in particular?

Thanks