Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

High Perf Machinists - Inquiry for you from me...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BigBurban350, Aug 28, 2003.

1. BigBurban350

BigBurban350 1/2 ton status

I am now in a engine machining class and I got a question about boring. I heard something about changing the angle of the bore and gaining lots of power from it. I contemplating how the power is gained. What I think is: The lever arm action of the crank arm is changed so that at max pressure is better utilized, because at TDC the crank arm is parallel to the rod and max pressure is usually at 25-30 degress after combustion, so making the angle of the crank arm and the rod at max pressure be perfectly perpendicular (90 degress) is the max torque capability possible. Like using a longer breaker bar cause you get more torque.

You guys hear of something like this?

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

2. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

Most good boring bar's are centered off of the crankshaft centerline, so the bore is perpendicular to the crank.

I.E. 90*

Decking the block perpendicular to the crank is important too. So it's 90* off the crank centerline also.

3. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

sounds about right to me.every angle should be perpandicular to the crank to get the most out of the combustion stroke.

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

There are tons of ways to make power. Do yourself a favor and don't try to re-invent the wheel. Just do it the old fashioned way which is very easy with Chevy V8s.

Someone that had told you that may be referring to heads with a different valve angle like some race cars use. Totally unnecessary for a truck.