Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

High Performance TBI engine? Any help from some TBI gurus?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, May 15, 2003.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I am thinking I would like to build a high performance TBI motor. People usually say TBIs are junk but I would like to build up a nice 383 or so with a Throttle body sitting on top. Would like to put out some high end power say 400+. Anyone have some thoughts on this?

2. MousePowrd

MousePowrd 1/2 ton status

The guys at www.thirdgen.org are pretty good at getting good power from TBI engines. 400+ is stretching it

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Derf00 has already done this. He's got a TBI 383 that kicks a$$. Just copy what he did and you'll have a nice ride. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

4. Xtreme Off-Road

Xtreme Off-Road Registered Member

It isn't hard to get a 383 to work with the TBI. A few mods to the TBI will wake it up. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I talked to a buddy today and he agrees its not really pushing it. If I get a custom chip or some way of burning my own and port a 454 TBI right I could move air and fuel pretty well. Not sure yet. Have my eye on an S10 with a great straight body and have 4 small blocks sitting around. 3 of which my dad purchased today /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif. He is getting a dirt race car with 3 motors, 1 rebuilt 350, 1 used 350, and 1 brand new 383. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

6. HarryH3

The biggest mod needed is a chip to tell the computer that it isn't feeding a 200 HP, stock 350 any more. Derf00 has the kinks ironed out with his, so whoever supplied his chip would be able to fix you up. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I see in your sig that you're still running the stock computer with your 383. Does it still have the stock chip? If so, then you would be absolutely astounded at how much it would wake up if you put in a chip that would supply enough fuel. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

hes got a really good point about the stock computers thing. I found a website with a motor I want to mimic I think. Would be carbed instead of TBI but thats fine /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif. 440HP 350 works for me. I would prefer to build a 350 rather than a stroked motor.

8. Xtreme Off-Road

I do have a Jet chip that I haven't installed yet. I have done some serious mods to the TBI to make great power already. My computer scanner tells me that the mods I have made so far are OK. The intergrater and BLM are both hovering around the 128 mark. Now I am doing some intake mods. I want to make sure the stock computer is happy before i install the performance chip. That way I get the most out of the chip instead of it just trying to keep the engine running. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. HarryH3

Does the 383 have a pretty mild cam? With a stock cam the computer probably wouldn't have much problem with the extra 33 cubes.

10. Xtreme Off-Road

I don't know about the other guys. But I use a crane 114122 and it works great with my 383.