Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

HIGH PINION AXLES.............

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by hi pinion, Feb 20, 2004.

1. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

ive met only one other member here,who is running a h/p axle.....WHO else is running one of these?????Anyone run a h/p for the rear????(a non coast side h/p)?????JUST CURIOUS...... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif YOURS TRULY HI PINION /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Sorry for being so clueless, but what is the difference between a Hi-Pinion D60 and a regular D60 ??? Any advantages or disadvantages.

3. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

The difference is that the complete pumpkin is flipped upside down,to reduce pinion agle,up to 3-4 inches(mabey more) /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gifallowing more lift,with less of a drastic angle on the drivelines.or driveline.The shaft is now coming from the TOP of the pumkin,instead of below......... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

ANYONE ELSE??????Anyone know who makes a h/p for the rear (dana 14 bolt etc,)That DOES NOT run the gears on the COAST side????????Is that possible i wonder.HMMMMMM /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif.............JAKE /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

5. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Dynatrac was cutom making a "reverse cut gear" for use in their HP diff when in the rear. I don't know if they still do though. Some guys have talked about using ford front gears (reverse cut) in a HP rear end also. I just drag my axle so what do I know
    (My name is matt and I am a 14FF owner) <- intro at a 14FF intervantion.

6. 81jimmyslt

81jimmyslt 1/2 ton status

Dr. Watson is running a tera 60 r I believe. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

7. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Jake, why all the excitement for high pinion axles? I noticed you are running 38" tires. Makes me wanna ask how much lift are you running? The GM D60's are more than adequate for the job of turning 38's, and even much larger tires, with even taller lifts, too. You're not going to find any type of 14FF thats a HP. Only the Ford D44 and D60 front axles are HP's and the aftermarket selections are the same plus Currie's whom offer a HP 9" rearend.

A true HP Ford front does not give 3" to 4", or maybe more, of a higher pinion. From a standard D60 to the reverse rotation D60, there is only 2 1/4" difference between them.
    The standard 60 pinion centerline is 1 1/8" below the axleshaft centerline.
    The reverse 60 pinion centerline is 1 1/8" above the axleshaft centerline.

The 9" Ford rear pinion centerline is 2 3/8" below the axleshaft centerline.
    I don't know how much above the line the Currie HP 9" is.

So, if you have a mild lift, I would just stick with the GM D60 so you can keep the transfercase all GM by retaining the passenger side driveshaft. If you switch to a Ford, you will need a Ford transfercase.

Tell us more about your lift and how much you are running. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

8. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

A high-pinion used in the rear has the same strength disadvantage as a low-pinion in the front. I'm not aware of any high-pinion designs that would not run on the coast side of the gear in a rear application. (If there is, please share /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif )

9. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Thanks guys....yeah,ill probobly end up just running a 14 bolt there in back w/detroit,just curious,thats all.To answer your question about how much lift i will run,it will be an 8 bds lift up front ,and a 4 on the flip with 6 springs.zeros up front.I wanted to see if there was an "affordable" way to get a rear h/p,without paying the toll /forums/images/graemlins/deal.giflike i did on the front....wich was overkill in the firstplace.Ive heard the tera pumpkin has had some oiling problems in the past.Its too late on the front h/p,ive already bought it....lol id have been done long before with the thing if i went with a regular d60 /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif SO.......Steven Watson is the only other guy you guys know of that is running an h/p?That you know of on here?Id like to touch base with some more h/p freaks like myself...so post up.if your out there.....Jake /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

MMMMMM....HiPinion
    [​IMG]

11. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Is that all you?????I like /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. soren60

soren60 Newbie

thatK30guy!

You seems to know very much about the vertical hypoid-offset, Gm 10-bolt or ford 8in?
    I am looking for a ring-pinion with 1.75in hypoid-offset.
    (low pinion rear).

13. thatK30guy

I don't have any info regarding the 10 bolt or 8.8" rears. I'm called K30guy for a reason. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

But if you are dead set on trying to find a rear with a lower pinion offset, the 9" Ford is probably the lowest on any production axle. I've yet to see anything lower than that.

14. soren60

soren60 Newbie

No, I looking for exact 1.75in to modify and put it in an
    old cadillac axle.

15. thatK30guy

Watson is the "bling factor man." He can run whatever he wants because he can afford it. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    6 springs.zeros up front

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats what I've got in the works for a future buildup. I've got 6" Skyjacker springs laying in the garage and also got some zero-rates made with 4 degrees of taper milled into them to tilt the pinion angle up slightly. I also got some of TONYP's custom made u-bolt plates also milled at 4 degrees to help seat the u-bolt nuts squarely so they don't suffer from stress and break later. Stock u-bolt plates will not suffice as they can seat the nuts at an awkward angle when the nuts get torqued down. Using a matching plate to the zero-rates will allow the nuts to seat 90 degrees and have NO stress on the u-bolts.

If the above info sounds confusing, let me know and I will find my thread have saved about the D60 and the problems with shimming them. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

I'm gonna run all the items I listed above on a standard GM D60 and should not experience any problems. Kind of like doing some homework here, asking the right questions (like you are doing now), and getting the right parts, both off the shelf and custom made. Thats one of the best things about this site when you have contact with some of the best machinists whom can take in consideration your ideas and put them into reality. I cannot even name off all the awesome guys who do stuff like this. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

16. thatK30guy

[ QUOTE ]
    No, I looking for exact 1.75in to modify and put it in an
    old cadillac axle.

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif Hmmmmmmm...interesting. I'm gonna suggest that question could be better replied if you were to ask some more wide based knowledge guys over on the Pirate 4x4 site. They've got a crapload of guys who drive literally anything and everything. And with guys like that, there will be more answers to your question like that. Afterall, CK5 is generally all about GM's. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

17. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    ANYONE ELSE??????Anyone know who makes a h/p for the rear (dana 14 bolt etc,)That DOES NOT run the gears on the COAST side????????Is that possible i wonder.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that is impossible.

18. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

I have a HP in the front of my........

Jeep YJ. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

19. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Yeah too bad its a Dana 30

/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

20. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    ANYONE ELSE??????Anyone know who makes a h/p for the rear (dana 14 bolt etc,)That DOES NOT run the gears on the COAST side????????Is that possible i wonder.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that is impossible.

[/ QUOTE ]Is it???Im pretty sure it CAN be done,if you use reverse cut ring gear,i think.Expensive though. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif