Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

high pressure fuel line replacement

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by solowookie, Jan 21, 2002.

1. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

ok guys - here's my quesiton.

The high pressure fuel line, between the frame and the TBI, was mostly replaced with a rubber hose and some hose clamps. is this an accidently waiting to happen, and should I replace that when I put the engine in?

now is there a braided steel hose or other material that I can get cheaper then the $70 replacement piece from GM?

<font color=blue> Jeff - may the force be with you</font color=blue>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Jeffs-Stuff>link to k5's</a>

2. shawnboy

shawnboy 1/2 ton status

I've seen the Russel make you own length kits? Maybe they could help.
    Shaawnboy.

<font color=red>If you are having too much fun it's probably illegal.</font color=red>

3. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

IMHO, as long as you used high pressure line, you will be ok.

Or, if you want to keep the rubber hose to a minimum, you could make a new hard line out of generic brake line to run from the TBI down to the side of the frame. Just cut of the o-ring ends near the braded section and put a double flare on the end. Those lines are VERY hard to flare but it can be done. Anyway, once you get hard line down to the side of the bell housing, just jump to the frame with a couple of inches of high pressure fuel line made for EFI (very strong but about twice the price of standard reinforced rubber hose). This is basically how I ran all my lines from the braided lines back. Cutting the o-rings ends off and flaring them to adapt to brake lines, then jump to the pickup with EFI rubber fuel line. If my braided line(s) blow, this is what I will do at the front too...

Russ

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, 205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked
    Some day: 4" lift, 44" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

4. Nonesuch

Nonesuch 1/2 ton status

i got a 25' roll of 3/8" aluminum fuel line rated at 150psi for $23 bucks. Not to bad if you ask me.

Austin, Texas K5'er

5. solowookie

I didn't put this rubber hose on...

when I first got this k5 I told a kit that was working for me to change the fuel filter. well to make a long story short he decided that the TBI was a carberator, and tried to pull the fuel lines. he bent the snot out of it, and I had the line replaced.

this was before I started doing my own engine work, and I have been running it that way for awhile. I have not had a problem yet, but I didn't know if this was something I should budget into this engine job or not.

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Jeffs-Stuff>link to k5's</a>

6. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Well, the EFI fuel line that I have says printed right on it that it is designed for high pressure fuel systems (don’t remember the exact wording but it is obvious). I think it's actually for systems like TPI which run much higher pressures so I figured it would be more than enough for TBIs max of 12-15 psi. Unless you trust whoever did it to not have used std 3/8" rubber hose (or if it doesn't identify it's use on it), I think I would at least replace it with a new rubber line of the "good stuff". It's really not too big a deal to run the hard line down by the bell housing as long as you've can find the compound tightly bent upper section that winds through the stuff on the back of the intake. Just exactly what crack smoking engineer decided to route the fuel lines back that way anyway??? I got one that had crushed braided lines from a junk yard for free just to experiment with the o-ring ends. Heck, I would mail it to you if I hadn't already cut it up. You could do that, and plumb it to hard line after cutting off the braided line or, if you think they are still good, use the braided lines on the new tubes. If you do your own hard lines, I would make sure there is slack in the EFI hose between the bottom and the frame. You also want to secure it to a lower bell housing bolt with one of the clamps that you can find holding the lines to the frame rail on the donor vehicle. Otherwise, it may get fatigued by engine torque and break.

Russ

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, 205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked, 4" lift, 42" tires
    Some day: massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

7. solowookie

well the way this was done it was cut off right before it goes into the TBI, and right before the frame so the ENTIRE line there is rubber.

I think what I may do is just run it the way it is until I get the engine done, and then after I get it running I'll do something different down the road.

8. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

I would just run new hard line and some fitting and be done with it. Do it right the first time and be done! especially with the fuel system IMO. Cheap rubber line is exactly that... cheap! It is all gonna be easier to work with while the motor is out if.

I dunno if you have ever seen or heard stories of when a cheap rubber line busts for the tranny cooler or worse yet a fuel line... well IMO you definetly better put a fire estingusher in your truck too [​IMG] [​IMG]

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch</a>

9. solowookie

are you kidding??? after my last experience I carry them in both my k5's... and they never get taken out! LOL