Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

High quality speaker wire?

Discussion in 'Audio' started by afroman006, Oct 14, 2003.

1. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

Is that "special" speaker wire sold in Crutchfield really worth the extra $$$ or will the plain stuff you get from radio chack work and sound just as well? Anyone have any wire preferences of their own? I will be rewiring my entire burb so I need ALOT of wire... Also, has anyone used that rockford fosgate flat wire? It looks prety interesting for running under carpet. Thx

2. bowtiepower00

bowtiepower00 1/2 ton status

Yes, the streetwires speaker wire is worth the money, but local stereo shops should have similar stuff for the same price if not cheaper. I'm a fan of Stinger personally, the flat stuff is nice for under carpet runs, but it costs more. 16 gauge runs pretty well. When I did the install in my 93 regular cab I used 110 ft of 12 gauge, as well as 4 gauge for the power/ground, and 3 sets of RCA's.

3. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

From what I have heard the only wires that will affect the sound quality in a hearable way is the RCA's.

For the rest of the wires as long as it is the proper size the the only difference in $$$ is looks, flexability, heat resistance, etc.

4. bowtiepower00

bowtiepower00 1/2 ton status

It's all going to depend on the individual setup. If you are installing high-end components, than using poor quality wire can effect the sound quality. The biggest reason I would use quality wiring is to avoid picking up noise. Any part of the wiring is capable of picking up noise, and it is often difficult to find and remove. Generally, higher quality wiring is going to be easier to install (flexibility) and resist damage and corrosion better. If you are just installing a basic system with some mid-priced coaxial speakers or stock speakers, than you may be able to get away with using lower-quality wire.

5. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

I'm using high end crossfire speakers (supplied by bozowise /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif) so I guess high end wire wont hurt anything either huh. What size wire will I need to be running 55 watt speakers? Anywhere from 10 to 20 feet of wire per speaker.

6. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

basically the same topic again....funny reading too!

SKIN EFFECT

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. NetBlazer

NetBlazer Registered Member

I know I'm going to start sounding like a Parts Express shill here (no I don't work for them /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif) but.....
    Parts Express Sound King Speaker wire
    This stuff is 12ga, multi strand, flexible, oxygen free copper speaker wire. 100' spool, $28 (.28 a foot). Essentially the same stuff from Crutchfield with "Streetwires" stamped all over it is going to cost you .80 a foot. If you have a LOT of wiring to do that's gonna add up in a big hurry. Save the cash for something else.

As to the arguments of "audiophile grade" components, that's a completely different market. No true "audiophile" (I'm not one of those either /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif) would be caught dead listening to music in an automoblie, it's just not a good environment for creating "pure" sound. But that's an argument for another time and place......

8. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

Well, since the electrons flow on the surface of a conductor .... /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

How did I know that someone would reference this post? /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    And my Physics books are still sitting on my desk ... maybe it's time to box them back up since no one wants them. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

9. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    Well, since the electrons flow on the surface of a conductor .... /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

How did I know that someone would reference this post? /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    And my Physics books are still sitting on my desk ... maybe it's time to box them back up since no one wants them. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't throw them away......

Next time you come to the San Jose area, let me know I'll take 'em off your hands....

Mmmmmmmmmm, Skin Effect! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

10. barryb

barryb Registered Member

three types in order of quality , twisted pair , oxygen free, and the other junk .....