Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

high steer and red neck ram?

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by Mike B., Dec 9, 2003.

1. Mike B.

Mike B. Registered Member

good day all,
    before i ask my question i think i should go ahead and confess that yes i am building a F-150. i would love to build a K5 but i got the truck free when i was in 7th grade... cant beat that. so, now that i have gotten that off of my chest (whew) onto my question. since there are no good build up forums for Fords i figure this place has to be the best place to ask, and sorry if this is the wrong section, i was debating between this one and the garage, but chose this one since my question pertains to the new high steer stuff from ORD, so if this is the wrong section i will change it ASAP. Ok, i just bought a d60 for my f-150, and i am doing high steer on it with the new stuff from ORD, and i also want to run the Red Neck Ram. i have never seen any one running a hydro assist on high steer so i wanted to hear what you guys had to say about it and if yall could help me out a little. Thank you so much!

2. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

I have the ORD highsteer and Redneck Ram on my D60 and it works real well. Just mount the ram as close to parallel as you can. I welded a raised bracket to the top of the axle tube next to the spring pad to mount the ram. This way you won't push up on the tie rod.

3. Nonesuch

Nonesuch 1/2 ton status

If you are running a Ford 60F you better get yourself some spare knuckles. The ford 60's have a weaker knuckle than a chevy/dodge which are also know to break when running highsteer and hydro(assist or full). You should check out pirate4x4.com for assistance in building your ford. Beware that newbies on the board are often bashed.

4. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

What they said is it, your clearance concerns will be different than a GM but the overall concept of where to mount the pieces should be the same. Keep in mind you can use a shorter ram with the high steer, and may want to go to a bigger bore to get the same torque to the knuckle.

You do need to be aware of the knuckle problems, the fords do not have a great reputation. As long as you're aware of the problem, you can sort that out. The fix is probably a set of Dedenbear knuckles but they don't have a ford specific setup.

5. Mike B.

thank you all soo much! i will definatly look into the knuckle, but im in over my head with money issues as it is (gears, detroit, steering) not to mention the fact that there is no such thing as a solid axle F-150, im thinkin about leaf springin it on the truck, which gives me, pretty much, endless opportuinties of what kind of springs to use, im thinking about some K5 springs for some nice flex. but i have not sat down and really thought it out yet, so im not too sure of how i should do it. once again thanks a million and if you think you have any ideas of how i could hang that axle from truck feel free... i have a feeling i will need all the help i can get.

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I thought I saw Dedenbear knuckles for ford apps when I was looking last week, could be wrong. I've seen SFA Broncos(pretty much same front end as an F150). Have a friend doing a SFA on an F150 as well, and if you go back to the 70s there were SFA F150s.

7. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Yup, dedenbear has fords now, checked them out yesterday.

8. Mike B.

wooow $289 a peice... i think i will deal with those once they let go... which hopefully wont be too bad. second thought mabye ill just deal with them after ive earned that much money again after this axle install. i think i decided on running leaves with maybe K5 springs for better flex. once all is said and done ill post some pictures to prove to you chevy guys that there are some smart Ford people out there /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif yall will probably hear from me soon with some more questions too.