Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

High Steer Crossover

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain Region' started by bbck5on37s, Jan 29, 2007.

1. bbck5on37s

bbck5on37s 1/2 ton status

Does anyone around Colorado have a D60 Highsteer ' crossover kit for sale....I need one for my K5 ... I no i can go to ORD but i dont have 800 dollars just layin around...

2. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

What's wrong with crossover and a heavy duty tie rod?

3. bbck5on37s

I just want to keep the tie rod out of the un-forgiving rocks...
    Is there a cheaper way to do the crossover?

4. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

Yes, but you get what you pay for.
    And why go cheap on something so important :dunno: ?

And try the search engine as well as the classified section here.

5. mrk5

WFO has the cheapest quality arms. http://www.wfoconcepts.com/Steering/Dana60/listing.html

Then you gotta come up with the draglink, TRE's, pitman arm, and sector shaft. I did all the figuring before I bought mine, and most of the kits are the best way to go. You might save $20-40 putting one together yourself with select parts. Unless you're really frugle and do a lot of searching and waiting.

I'm going to be running crossover with the stock tie rod. I may weld some angle to it to stiffen it up some. :dunno:

6. wheelingdrummer

wheelingdrummer 1/2 ton status

Are you going to have the stearing ready by Febuary 11th so we can run Carnage?

7. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I am not a huge fan of high steer crossover. I would rather have a heavy duty tierod taking a beating then my axle. Hysteer also puts extra pressure on the steering knuckles where it wasn't designed to be. With hysteer you run a greater risk of breaking knuckles.

I have a 3/8" thick tierod on my truck with lowsteer. I have pounded it for several years without any signs of appreciable bending. I drive by brail & have hit rocks hard enough to stop my truck cold in its tracks from 5-10mph without issue of bending a tierod.

A 1/4" thick tierod is what most people sell but 3/8" thick is the ticket for rockcrawling if that is your sport of choice.

Harley

8. bbck5on37s

No ..... I will run Carnage with out the steering mod...I should be ok...The trail isnt that bad but i havent done it in the snow yet....I cant wait.

9. mrk5

Yeah, maybe if there is enough snow the rocks will be relatively smaller. Don't know about that ice field that develops though.

Harley and BadDog have also mentioned the idea of running the normal HD tierod and then sleeving over it with some 11ga DOM to make it an extra 1/8" thicker. The 11ga is easier to find and relatively less expensive. That's what I plan to do when I get $money$ for it.

10. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Most places that sell 3/8" thick tierods are just 1/4" sleeved with 1/8". Not many that I have seen actually use solid 3/8" DOM tube.

You can sleeve stock tierods with tube also but they will still bend just not as bad or often. Matt (az-k5) runs a sleeved stock D60 tierod. He has been running it for awhile. He has bent it in several spots but it is still useable for now.

Harley