Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

high-steer draw backs?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by owen, Mar 17, 2004.

1. owen

owen 1/2 ton status

Is their any reason not to go with high steer? Seems like I saw something in one of those real technical posts that said something about a reason not to go with it. Of course, I cant find it now! I was just about to order cross over, and wanted to do it all while I was at it! That is, unless someone (besides my wife) talks me out of it...

2. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

I'm choosing not to do it because of all the stress it would be putting on the tops of my knuckles. Another reason is because it's difficult to hook up hydro assist steering with the tie rod up so high. Finally one more reason is it will contact some lift springs if the arch is too high or you have added zero rates or relocated the axle. But these are all on a case by case basis. Why do you need hi-steer anyways? Have you actually bend a tie rod or is this just a precaution?

3. owen

owen 1/2 ton status

just seems like preventive maintenance. The D60 I just aquired came with a bent one~! I think I can easily adapt hydro assist from the top of the housing. Wouldnt it be just as much stress if the mounting point(to the knuckle) was as far back as the original mounting point was forward?

4. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

If you have the deadenbear (sp?) knuckles with 5 studs and more beef on top then I wouldn't worry about breakage. I just see a tie rod being a lot of stress for the top of the knuckle alone. In the stock location it's dispersing the load to the center of the knucles thus only applying half the load to the top of the kingpin instead of 100% on the kingpin /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif I'm just speaking from opinion of course, there are lots of members here that love their high steer systems. Maybe you should make a post in the ORD forum and ask this question again. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

5. owen

owen 1/2 ton status

thanks, NUTZ. Im heading over to ORU.