Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

High Steer for Dana 60 and Cross over steering?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BorregoK5, Jul 2, 2002.

1. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I've been looking into cross over steering for obvious reasons and after my buddy from near Tellico came to visit, he talked me into a high steer setup as well for other obvious reasons. I'm looking into Avalanche Engineerings High Steer arm and block. Anyone have any input on this setup, pros/cons hidden costs before I jump in with both feet?

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I'm probably going to do the Avalanche as well, and I've looked into a lot of different crossover setups. I don't think that I'm going to do the high steer though, I'm going to have them make me sleeved tie rod and drag link instead, I think that they should hold up to whatever I can dish out. I was quoted about $575 for a complete high steer system using heims and non-sleeved drag link and tie rod, and a little bit less for a non high steer crossover system with the sleeved tie rod and drag link. I think the standard location for the drag link will be easier to do a hydro assist system on, that is the main reason that I am leaving it where it is at. Either one of these setups would be a complete system other than the 2wd steering box and pitman arm that you'll need.</font color>

3. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I run the Avalanche cross-over high steer and it works great, and I'm not just saying that because I sell them /forums/images/icons/grin.gif
    To do hydro assist it gets kind of tricky with hi-steer but it can be done and works well, had mine on some good trails now and is the bomb.
    Oh, why do you need a block?
    [​IMG]

4. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

Any advantages to using Heims vs. the HD OEM style rod ends with the crosover setups? I too am going to a x-over and its my daily driver.

5. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

First off, your hydro assist looks slick! I've been avoiding the hydro assist up to now due to the stock steering location down where the rocks can hit it. I assume the rock ring was adapted for the assist? Do you use the hydro assist as your stabalizer as well without death wobble (I've been fortunate enough not to have any yet)? As for the steering block, I was under the impression that I'd need it to clear my passenger side 4" leaf spring but looking at yours I may not. Any hidden snags or unforseen setbacks?