Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

High-Steer guys, Who has pitman arm to tie rod clearance problems?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by zcarczar, Jan 4, 2004.

1. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Just got my highsteer and cross over done and I have a slight problem. The DLE on the pitman arm hits the tie rod. Im using Sky arms and I am running the 52" front springs with around 4.5" of lift and the front axle moved forward 2". I was just wondering if any of the guys running low lift like me and long travel suspension were having a problem with that.

2. denver75k5

denver75k5 1/2 ton status

YUP, thats why I went with behind the axle hi-steer, my axle is moved 1-1/2" foward with a 4" lift and I sureley would have hit the pitman arm if I went the regular route. It seems you may only have 3 options, 1: get behind the axle steer arms 2: way more lift 3: move the steering box forward.
    just my .02

3. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

The axle being forward 2" is the problem.

The axle being forward means the steering arms are now a lot closer to the pitman arm than normal, so the interference is to be expected. I only have my front axle forward 1" and have some interference.

Moving the steering box is in your future, methinks... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

4. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

I tried the same thing with my High steer arms and the damn pitman would hit the tie rod when I'd turn, even with the truck sitting on flat pavement.

I have 5" of lift, axle is in stock location, running JKW arms.

5. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

dammit, I dont want to move the box. I already have the weld in brace on there and I dont want to screw with cutting it out cause I know it will be in the way of the steering box if I move it. Guess I will move my tie rod down to the stock location again. Since im running crossover I have to buy the drop tie rod ends to make work with my current springs and knuckles. Wish I would have known about that problem when I bought arms.

6. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

hahaha me too damnit. I was just as pissed.

7. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

My tire rod is behind the axle along with the ram and I dont have any clearance problems. Axle is forward 1-1/4" and I built a new crossmember. Only thing that was in the way was the shocks. With this setup you can put the tie rod further away from the king pins to get better leverage for turning as well as get some ackerman in the steering.

I ran the hi-steer in the front for one season and I thought it sucked! I had DW problems and everything hit everything. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

8. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

My axle is 4" forwar... I'm getting shakerbilt arms and I have yet to finish it up but i think I will be okay since I'm running just about 7" of lift. mi shoul have my arms this week thn 'll be able to mock it all up and see if I have to move my box any.