Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

High Steer VS Crossover

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Tuff, Aug 3, 2004.

1. Tuff

Tuff Registered Member

I have a Dana 44 and I'm trying to get rid of my bumpsteer. I know crossover will fix most of my problems. Why would go to crossover and not complete the deal and go with high steer? Or is it not possible to do high steer with a Dana 44? I saw where ORD sells crossover, but not a High steer.

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Crossover may not cure your bumpsteer. Hysteer is also not necessary and in my opinion isn't the best option.

Hysteer is available for D44's. But hysteer places alot of load in an area that wasn't designed to take those loads. It is placed on the top of the knuckle. I don't think you will break a knuckle like people with D60 do but you will waste your upper ball joint quicker. Ball joints go bad quick enough on trucks with larger tires that go offroad hysteer will just add to the problem. A couple AZ guys waste there ball joints every 3 months with alot of offroad use.

I also don't like hysteer for the fact that it moves the tierod from in front of the axle. This means you slam you axle into things. If you have a HD tierod the tierod will take the abuse. If you damage the tierod you can replace it. If the tierod is above the axle the diff cover and the axle tubes take the abuse. I would rather have something I can replace easily take the abuse then something you can't replace. Diff covers can be replaced but if you smack the cover hard enough you can smack your ring gear too. I personally don't want my axle tubes an ring gear to take a beating.

I run low steer crossover and an HD tierod. So far so good. My tierod has 3/8" thick walls and is beefy as heck. I have smacked it pretty hard and it does nothing but scratch the paint.

Harley

3. Tuff

Tuff Registered Member

Thanks

4. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

you can do both, lots of people do high steer on the Dana 44 and seem to have no problems. Lately a few have had issues with breaking studs /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif
    I finally broke down and decided to just do the crossover. One it was humoungously cheaper and I already had the crossover arm in my possesion.
    So whatever you decide, make yourself think rationally, if you really need the highsteer or not. the factory knuckles are not gonna break if you leave stuff alone. seems it's about $600 ballpark for both arms, TRE's, Draglink, and Tierod.