Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

High Steer?

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by Alex_B, Nov 2, 2006.

1. Alex_B

Alex_B Registered Member

Can I use stock tie rod ends on the high steer kit.
    I remember when I bought the cross over steering block I had to ream the hole to fit the stock drag link ends. Do I need to do this with the high steer and stock 1 tone tie rod ends too?

2. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

K10ANDYKHAMNIC 1/2 ton status

Alex, you cannot use the stock tie rod ends or tie rod with our high steer kit. If you have our arms you do not need to do any reaming if you use our ends. Give us a call if you have more questions. - Andy

3. Alex_B

Alex_B Registered Member

Why don’t you guys drill the holes a little bigger in a steering block so I can retain my stock tie rod ends.:mad:

4. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

K10ANDYKHAMNIC 1/2 ton status

In the high steer kit the taper is not the problem. The stock tie rod ends are somewhat long and tend to bend. That is why we do not use them in our kit. The taper is the same as your stock tie rod ends, ours are just stronger because the shank is so short.

5. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

not to mention it would require a differant length tierod being that highsteer requires a shorter tie rod, and using the long ends would wake it shorter still.

6. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Highsteer also puts more stress on the tierod so a beefier version is definitely in order. The stock ends truly are the wrong parts for the job. The 1-ton version has one end built into the tierod so it won't work and the 1/2 and 3/4T tierod ends are replaceable but the one side has the hole in it for the steering stabilizer which makes a weak point. Like Andy said, the taper is right but the rest of the stock parts is not.