Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

High-Tec Retreads?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bpiccioni, Mar 8, 2003.

1. bpiccioni

bpiccioni 1/2 ton status

Hey Everyone

About a week ago someone posted a thread looking for cheap tires and retreads were mentioned as a good way to go cheap. High-Tec Retreads was offered as an example of a place to get retread tires - I wonder if anyone has any experience to share about High-Tec, retreads in general or any other ways to get cheap tires.

I am looking for 32-35"x10.5-12.5" R16 (so I can reuse my old rims for now). I would love to get 33's under my stock height /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif (87 3/4T 4x4 350TBI Chevy Burb TH400 4.10 GM14BSF/208/GM10b MSD 6A) with little or no lift at this point until my cashflow improves.

Thanks in advance for your time!

Ben

2. BLZN4FN

BLZN4FN 1/2 ton status

A freind of mine has them on his K5 and thinks they are the best thing out there. He has approx 30k and beats the living piss out of them. So I would say good deal

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

My friend has them on all his farm trucks and swears that you'd be wasting money to buy anything more expensive than those. He regularly overloads his truck and they hold up great.

4. bpiccioni

bpiccioni 1/2 ton status

Hey Bo

Do you know offhand which tire size and tread pattern your buddy has, assuming you were talking about the High-Tec retreads?

High-Tec's website is pretty dated (summer 2000) and doesnt provide info on what casings are used for which tire size and tread patterns or even how many ply's are on the casings.

They list the following retreads on their site:

<ul type="square">
    OTR MUD
    MUD
    (blank)
    AT All Terrain
    AP All Position
    [/list]

Ben

5. BLZN4FN

BLZN4FN 1/2 ton status

He has the 35/12.5/15 mud tires.
    Hope this helps,
    Bo

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

My buddy had 8.25R16.5s on the front and 9.5R16.5s on the rear of one truck and 245/75R16s on the other I think. They were either 245s or 265s.

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    He has the 35/12.5/15 mud tires.
    Hope this helps,
    Bo

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi-Tec has 35s now? I was looking at them when I got my BFGs but they didn't have anything bigger than a 33.

8. bpiccioni

bpiccioni 1/2 ton status

Hey Tim

I am thinking they only go up to 33" - I was wondering if they went any bigger too and sent High-Tec an email. Here's what I got back:

<ul type="square"> <font color="blue">
    Dear Mr. Piccioni,

Thanks for your inquiry. To give you a quote including shipping and handling I'll need to know the tire size and tread design. The prices are still the same plus shipping and handling.

Our toll free number is 1-877-439-0759 M-F between 8-5 MT or call 605-662-5145.

Thanks again,
    Debbie
    </font>
    <font color="green">
    ----- Original Message -----
    To: hawkins@gwtc.net
    Sent: Tuesday, March 04, 2003 8:52 PM
    Subject: Inquiry From Web Site!

Hi

I found your site after a friend suggested I look into getting some retreaded tires to save some $$$ if/when I lift my truck. I have an 87 3/4T 4x4 350FI Chevy Suburban which I wanna lift and put on bigger tires.

I noticed your tire design and price page is a bit dated:

"Prices quoted are FOB Edgemont, South Dakota effective 6-15-2000 and do not include applicable taxes."

Could you please verify your tire sizes, designs and prices for 16" rims? Also I wonder what shipping would be like to get to 97404. I would be willing to pick em up at one of the local freight centers like Yellow.

Thanks for your help!

Ben Piccioni
    bpiccioni@hotmail.com
    [/list]</font>

At least they havent raised prices in almost 3 years! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif If anyone knows where to get retreads an bigger than 33", please post up. The only ones I know of are the Hummer Retreads, but those arent cheap and wouldnt fit my current rim or /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif without some serious lift and trimming.

Ben <font color="blue"> </font>

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Hummer retreads? Where? I like that idea!! Where can I get them?

10. bpiccioni

bpiccioni 1/2 ton status

Hey Tim

The site where I found the Hummer tires, www.golftires.biz, seems to be down at the moment. However, they had both radial and bias ply used Hummer Tires as well as retreads about a week ago when I last went to their site.

Try back later and see if they are back up.

Ben

11. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

I would like to know of a place that sells bigger retreads too.

12. bpiccioni

bpiccioni 1/2 ton status

Which one of these looks better - I'm looking at getting the 265/75/16 size and putting em on my existing 16" rims to replace my stock 235/85/16 tires on my 87 /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif Both of em seem to cost $59.99 per tire and are listed here: http://www.high-tec-retreading.com/sizes.html

Not sure yet on shipping.

I cant really tell which one of these things would actually do better off road although the OTR does seem a little more like some of the All Terrains I've looked at.

OTR Mud
    [​IMG]

or MUD?
    [​IMG]