Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

High tech motor question?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by SummitXMK, Mar 13, 2002.

1. SummitXMK

SummitXMK 1/2 ton status

The newest 5.3 from chevy will burn E-85 which is a blend of 85 percent ethenol not 10 like we get now. My question is. Could it be possible to build an older motor to burn this stuff. How would you get it to do so. Isn't ethonal kinda like burning alchohal? Could you build it like an alchohal(sp) funny car? This is just a shot in the dark but I have an old car that needs a new motor I was gonna use as a commuter car. I thought it would be cool to run it on ethonal because the station by my work has the e-85 ethonal. What do you guys think?

SummitXMK

2. ChevBlazin

ChevBlazin 1/2 ton status

That sounds familiar to Fords "flex fuel vehicles" like the taurus and I think ranger too. We talked about this in one of my classes yesterday, but didnt get into too much detail. If anyone knows about this I would be interested too /forums/images/icons/smile.gif I immagine you could find some info at a dealer or maybe ford or chevy web site??

3. smartpatrol

smartpatrol Registered Member

I am pretty sure dragster engines burn Nitro Methanol with most of the combustion energy derived from the nitro mixed in. I believe they just improperly refer to the fuel as alchol. Ethanol is very low energy combustion fuel. Unless your evironmentally conscious i can't see where there would be any benifit to burning ethanol.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I thought one of the problems with an ethanol/gas blend was decreased power...

Having an engine capable of running on some fuel, and actually being designed to take advantage of a certain type of fuel, are two different things.

5. SummitXMK

SummitXMK 1/2 ton status

I run ethonal in my truck and sleds. I think that my sled actually runs better on it although its probably my imagination. My buddy with a turbo only runs premium with ethonal because he gets a 94 octane raiting. That and a funky blend of race and av gas just to make sure!! I want to know how to make it run on it good not just accept it. Like hotter plugs or cooler plugs. Change the timing curve. Maybe a different style piston and head setup. Stuff like that.

SummitXMk

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I am almost 100% sure that the use of alcohol is to prevent detonation with extremely high compression ratio's, which is what water injection is for. Alcohol just happens to burn, so it's probably better suited to racing.

The only reason to run higher octane *gas* is to increase timing, and keep detonation from occurring.

Just wasting gas if you are running more octane than the engine needs, and not adjusting timing when running higher octane gas.

7. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

I know Sprint cars run alky, I thought some strip classes do also. My understanding of running pure alky is big compression: like 12 - 14:1. Also (mechanical) injection or carbs designed to flow ALOT (almost double the fuel rate of similar gas race motor).

You could definately modify a street/offroad engine to run on it, but it to get the HP (alky has less BTUs) you may negate the possibility of running on gas afterwards. Hardened seats, bronze guides, 11:1 compression, special carb or electronic injection, modified ignition curve....... did I forget anything?

8. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

to get back to the question at hand... why bother IMO. Ethanol is expensive and basically is like trying to run your truck on urine. Might as well piss in the gas tank to water down your gas. We have numerous different blens here in MN and my milage for one thing drops 2-3 mpg with ethanol and misc blend compared to the straight stuff. Runs like a three legged dog to boot.

9. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

there was 1 IHRA alkie car running ethanol
    i dont know about ethanol but methanol is corrosive as hell to aluminum so everything would have to be stainless.
    the blends arent available here

10. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Running ethanol can also dry out older rubber fuel lines and seals.Causing them to get brittle and break. If you do run it make sure your fuel lines/seals can handle it. Engine fires are a bummer.

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

It takes 2 times as much alcohol as gasoline to run an engine.

I hope you can get it cheap.