Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

High-Temp header paint question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BayouBlazer88, Dec 8, 2002.

1. BayouBlazer88

BayouBlazer88 1/2 ton status

I just bought some used eddelbrock TES headers not too long ago and I'd like to sandblast them and paint them with black high temp paint. The instructions suggest that after you paint them, the paint should be cured for a few hours in something like 600 degrees F. I don't have any type of oven such as this nor do I know anyone that does. So my question is: Should it be ok without the curing as long as I put on several coats and give it ample time to dry before I install them?

Matt

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I used VHT's flame proof paint on some used headers I got about 2 years ago. I sprayed 3 coats on with an hour dry time between coats and it lasted really well. The only part that came off was near the collector in a few places. I think you'd be fine as long as the paint was cured before running them.

Rene

3. slider

slider 1/2 ton status

I have never had much luck with any of the header paints. They last a while then burn off and your back to rusty headers. Like tRusty said three thin coats s/b fine. Do not put any paint on in one thick coat. Thin coats always works better.

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

The top 90% of my headers stayed a nice clean dull silver for 2 years (I just sold them and they still looked good) The VHT paint I used is good til 1500 F though.

rene

5. RLBstein

RLBstein 1/2 ton status

I used a high temp coating from Eastwood. I even put it on the intake to brighten it up a little. It still looks great except where I had a brake fluid spill and that stuff eats anything. I think it cost about $9 a can and can do about 2, possibly 3 "sets" of headers. It is very thin so it doesnt go on like paint does. I used a foam brush and put 2 coats on.

Oh, even though it can coat a few headers it doesnt store very long after opening. I tried to use it a couple weeks ago on a set of Black Jack headers for my Bronc....Uh..other vehicle and it was pretty much ruined.

6. jms

jms 1/2 ton status Author

I went to a place that does powder coating to have the paint on the headers baked on.

7. BlazinRojo

BlazinRojo 1/2 ton status

Is powder coating headers a viable option? (in terms of lasting appearance and cost)