Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

High torque diesel starter for your gas engine?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Robert79K5, Mar 26, 2003.

1. Robert79K5

Robert79K5 1/2 ton status

Okay.. so I was thinking (squeek squeek squeek) Does anyone know the feasability of putting a 6.2/6.5 diesel flywheel and starter on a small block chevy? Is the 6.2/6.5 externally balanced? I wonder how close the bolt holes on the starter are? or if it could be machined or shimmed to work and net yourself a high torque starter. Might be just as cheap to buy a performance starter designed specifically for a small block but it got me to thinking...

2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

If I am not mistaken, I think Rene(tRustyk5) told me that a 6.2 starter was $200+.. (i think, if I am wrong dont blame him. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif ) A new high torque after market starter isn't much more. Also, there is a company out there that I think is called something like CVR that makes high torque starters that are o-ring sealed. They are around $250 from Jegs I believe...

HTH

3. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

A reman'd starter from Autozone is about $250 with an $80 core, so it's not really a cheap alternative.......

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Yeah, the 6.2 starter is not cheap by anyone definition./forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif I dropped over $100 just repairing the one i had. All I got was new brushes and a new solenoid...a full out rebuild was $350 (cdn $$, $240 US)

rene

5. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

FWIW: I had a problem with starters until I bought a Powermaster XS torque series starter. Some that I bought new or rebuilt would barely turn the motor over (a little higher than stock compression), and others would but would overheat and last only a few months. I bought one of the XS torque starters (About 2 bills) and have not had a problem in 2-3 years (knocking on wood). They also seem to rotate and/or start the engine faster even though they are a "gear reduction" (slower free speed) starter.

6. Lonnie

Lonnie 1/2 ton status

The diesel starter has a larger gear on the drive which does not match to the flywheel gear.

Buy an aftermarket unit with permanent magnets... they are lighter, gear reduction & have enough power to start nearly any gas motor.

7. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

WHat comp ratio are you guys running? I am somewhere between 10.5:1 - 11.5:1 with a stock starter.

8. CCRider

CCRider 1/2 ton status

I just put this starter on my jimmy and it absolutely rocks!! It does however look strangely like a starter from the new 8.1 liter trucks (A.k.a. Identical) uses slightly shorter bolts but zings it over like nothing , and doesn't draw alot of amps either!!! GM 502/502 starter /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif