Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

High Torque Starter?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Burt4x4, Jun 29, 2005.

1. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Hello CK5 :D
    So I am in the market for a HT starter.
    My current starter mounts to the bellhousing not the engine block.

I am having troubles finding a HT starter that mounts to the Bell Housing not the engine block.

Anyone Know who makes one?

Thanks
    Burt

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

??????????????????????

I assume you have a 4 speed tranny if your starter bolts to the bellhousing...

The starter itself should be identical to all other chevy starters that bolt to the block...only the "nose" that bolts to the bellhousing is different!..I have swapped that nose onto a high tourque starter "body"(came off the same truck when it was a TH350) on my 72 K5 with an SM465 tranny...I dont see why a high torque starter should not be available at any parts store for your application.. :crazy:

EDIT: I'm talking stock GM starters--if you are talking a "mini" high performance style starter,I havent seen one of those that bolt to the bellhousing yet either..not sure if you could bolt the starter to the block with a manual bellhousing(been awhile since I've seen one)..I think the bellhousing or its tin splash plate is right in the way,but I could be mistaken.. :crazy:

3. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Oppps ya I have a SM465 and a new 454.
    The 454 came with a block mounted starter but I am using my original cast bell with a bell mounted starter.

I didn't know you could swap the nose cone.

I really don't know what I want, mini or stock size?
    What I do want is a starter than can crank my 9.5compression 454 over without breaking a sweat. With a HT starter I will also beable to start the rig ingear while off road(sometimes a great way to get moving on a trail).

Thanks
    Burt