Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

High volume oil pump necessary?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Russ, Dec 28, 2006.

1. Russ

Russ 1/2 ton status

Is it necessary or beneficial to run a high volume oil pump in a street driven engine? I installed a Moroso MOR-22160 high volume racing oil pump in the 489 engine that I built for my crewcab dually and am now wondering if I should swap it out to a stock pump. I recently pulled the intake manifold off to re-seal it and noticed more wear on the distributor gear than what I would expect to see in an engine with only about 4K miles on it. I was wondering if this could possibly be from the increased oil pump pressure?
    I am running a retro-fit roller cam also with the stock distributor gear, but was told by the tech at CompCams that there was no problem with running it that way. He said the camshaft was compatible with a stock iron gear. Thanks for any help,

Russ

2. BadBob

BadBob 1/2 ton status

In general, no a big block chevy doesn't need anything more then a stock pump. I'm wondering if the Comp tech got it wrong though. Most of the roller cams have steel gears, which will eat up a stock distributor gear. Generally the cams with the iron gear cost a bit more.

3. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Stock pump is all that's needed in any V/8 chevy engine. Yes, the increased volume pump will allow for more wear on the distributor cam gear. Comp cams uses a sintered iron gear on their cams and a stock iron distributor gear works with it.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2006
  4. Russ

Russ 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the help, I believe I will swap that pump out on my next oil change. I am pegging my in-dash oil pressure gauge most all the time right now which is probably more oil pressure than is necessary.

Russ

5. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

The high pressure and high volume pumps just cause more wear, more drag, un-necessarily heat the oil and break the oil down faster. The engine (unless you have VERY lose bearing tolerances ((worn out!)) ) can't use the extra oil so it just gets bypassed anyway. Stock pumps are fine.