Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

High Water shorting out the starter...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by k5guyva, Nov 11, 2003.

1. k5guyva

k5guyva 1/2 ton status

I had high water begin to short out the starter to the frame causing the battery voltage to drop on me the other day. What do you use to prevent water from stalling out your engine?

2. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

well if your talking about deep watter crossings and such a snorkel is a good idea. Theres some people on here that have made em out of 3" PVC. I plan to do this to my ford soon as well.

3. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    snorkel is a good idea

[/ QUOTE ]
    How is a snorkel going to help his starter from shorting out? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crewcab.gif

4. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

lol, this reminds me of a "5.13s!!!" post... an auto response to the word "high water" being in the subject? /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

at any rate, Ive never heard of peeps having this problem before... starters arent exactly tucked up high in the engine compartment or anything so you'd think they'd be pretty water proof. maybe you just need a new one?

j

5. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Stick dielectric grease on all the connectors. Don't forget the spark plug boots. Spray some silicone lube on the back of the harness where it comes out of the cab. Seal the dipstick tube to both the engine and transmission (if automatic, of course). Move all breather tubes to hood level including the ones for the transfer case and automatic transmission.

I regularly drive and park my truck in water that covers the starter. Periodically I drive in water close to 4' deep (waterpump deep is as deep as I want to go). After I get done submersing I just let the truck idle for about 15 minutes to "dry out" and the truck doesn't get shut off until I get back on pavement.

The starter shouldn't short out. It's series wound so unless you have a bad solenoid there is no way for it to short out. I recommend hosing out the starter and replacing the solenoid if you really think that's what your problem is.

Once you get past waterpump deep you have to start sealing everything like the distributor, PCV system, oil fill holes, power steering pump.... blah blah blah. Not to mention it becomes time to start worrying about waterproofing the interior.

6. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    I had high water begin to short out the starter to the frame causing the battery voltage to drop on me the other day. What do you use to prevent water from stalling out your engine?

[/ QUOTE ]

The answer is obvious, the truck needs more lift! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

j/k, couldn't resist! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

7. KrebsATM02

KrebsATM02 1/2 ton status

I had the solonoid stick on my when I stalled in the middle of a river one time. The engine was turning until I could get out and unbolt the battery cable. After that I got 2 optima's, remade all the wiring with welding cable, and used a ford solonoid. I mounted the ford one up high so water can't get in it and make it stick.

8. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Water isn't a very good conductor at 12 volts. It's more likely that the alternator belt was slipping from being wet.