Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

HighAngle Driveline - The BOMB...Almost killed myself...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Boss, Jun 12, 2002.

1. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

I know this has been noted before and then some...but I really got to give my props to Jesse over at HighAngledriveline.com
    What a stand up guy this guy is. I purchased some CV shafts from him. The rear one was a 1350 CV with 1410 end. It drove fine, but had some wicked vibes from 55 to 65 or so. I talked to him about it, and he said the seal at the CV must've gotten loose or something from shipping. He immediately built another one and sent it to me via 3 day air (he offered to ship it next day if I wanted). He also is picking up the tab for shipping the old shaft back! What a guy! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif Thanks again Jesse for your help and service!!

Well, here is how I almost killed myself. /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif I recieved the shaft and immediately went to swap it in. I start by removing the Ubolts at the pinion end. Left the ujoints in the yoke. Then removed the 4 screws holding the driveshaft at the tcase end. For some reason it was really tough to remove /forums/images/icons/confused.gif. I put my pipes (biceps) into it and removed it...I heard a loud bang and the truck started rolling (my driveway is a very slight hill). First thing that went into my mind was "Oops, forgot to chock the wheels! /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif" I was sitting (in a wierd "hard to maneuver" position) on the creeper under the truck and was kind between the front and rear passenger side tires. I started paddling my feet to keep up with the truck. I was doing good until the rear tire caught the creeper. It rolled on the creeper, and as it did that, it slowed down a little and gave me enough time to jump off (or half roll off /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif), while holding this heavy ass shaft in my left hand.
    I immediately put the shaft down in the grass and grapped this piece of 4x4 and sprinted up and shoved it under the front tire...phew! Then grapped another 4x4 and put it under the other front tire, just incase. Good thing I was building a patio earlier that week and had these pieces of 4x4 lying around the driveway or the truck would've rolled into the street where some cars are parked on the cul-de-sac (sp?). Heart was really pounding! /forums/images/icons/blush.gif
    My creeper is crushed an doesn't roll around anymore, time to get a new one I guess /forums/images/icons/mad.gif. Well, that's my life threatning experience I guess /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif.
    Funny thing, is, I always chock the wheels before messing with anything! Anyhow, remember to chock your wheels folks /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif
    Boss

2. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

I think I heard a similar story from someone a while back. Thats nuts! So, you get the Doubler installed? Where are the pics?

3. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Yeah, I got the dub in and all the other mods I had planned and have been driving it around for about two weeks now. I just did some mods to the front Xmember yesterday and just put the front dshaft in yesterday too. I'm waiting to do mods to the hummer wheels I got and need to get the 39.5" swamps before I can really test em'. I don't think these bald ass BFG's will do much for traction /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif.

I took a bunch of pics, but need to download them all. Just need to find some time to do it...I'll send you some as soon as I do /forums/images/icons/smile.gif
    Boss

4. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

WOW! Close one egh?
    Next time you get all excited cuz you get to work on your rig I want you to STOP! Block the wheels then continue /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif heheheh
    Hey man glad nothing happend to you or your rig!

5. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

heh i did that same thing before, took the rear driveline out then crawled out from under the truck, went to the street where my dads truck was parked to get the new u joint i left in the seat, out of the corner of my eye i seen my truck rolling down my driveway i ran behind my truck jumped in the drivers seat (i left the door open) and slammed the brakes right before it hopped the curb across the street and went into my neighbors yard, was at night so no cars were driving by, My heart was pumping also, but i didnt almost get crushed like you did lol, your a lucky man

6. Makes me glad I only work on my truck in my flat floored barn! Glad you didn't get injured. Could have been bad.

7. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Hey Boss, next time before you plan to work on the truck, can you put the truck in your will to give to me? /forums/images/icons/blush.gif /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif And, can I take a life insurance policy out on you? /forums/images/icons/blush.gif /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

Nah, just kidding! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif Just glad to hear you are ok and not hurt or anything. Just your pride is hurt is all. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

8. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Yea.. deffinitely cool that you made it out alright. Send me a link to the pics as well if you would.

9. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Damn, be careful bro.

10. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

damn im glad you are ok /forums/images/icons/smile.gif makes for a good reminder always chock the wheels /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

11. Highlander

Highlander 1/2 ton status

Glad to hear you got out allright. I had something like that happen to me as well, But it cost me 11000.00$ in med. bills after a truck roll on to my head an right arm. And I had put a block in front of the wheel but it ran over it.

Eric

12. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

I did the same thing and it cost me a driver's door on an old f*rd, so it wasn't that bad /forums/images/icons/blush.gif

13. Brian 89KBlazer

Brian 89KBlazer 1/2 ton status

Wow Boss!! /forums/images/icons/ooo.gif /forums/images/icons/ooo.gif

Too Close!! I did the same thing a few years ago except the truck was UN-blocked & on a set of ramps! Dumb! Dumb! Dumb! The only thing damaged was me!... a couple bruised ribs & alot of cuts when the diff tried lie on me!! /forums/images/icons/blush.gif /forums/images/icons/blush.gif

Anyway; take care & glad to hear you & the Blazer are safe & sound!! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

BTW; glad to hear more good news about Jesse.....guess it'll be a while now before I get to order my shafts from him but glad to hear I'll be getting great service when I do!

14. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Dang! You should have that creeper bronzed for sacrificing itself for you!

Glad to hear you're ok!

15. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

I was doing a shift kit in my tranny and forgot to chock the wheels. As I'm laying under there looking at everything, for some stupid reason I grab the shift arm coming out of the tranny and shift it... OOPS!!! Just as it drops into neutral I realize there's no blocks and instantly put a foot up on a rear tire. The amazing thing was that I was able to hold the truck! I rolled it back up the driveway a bit with my foot to get it back into park. Now comes the stupid part... I didn't block the wheels! /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif So of course 10 minutes later when I'm putting the valve body back in, I did it again!! haha Guess I should have gotten more sleep that night /forums/images/icons/grin.gif