Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Higher amp alternator ??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Thumper, Nov 6, 2002.

1. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

I have an old style alternator on my truck. It has a connector that has 2 wires to it, and one main wire coming out the back to the battery. Well, to my isolator. A new CS style 120 amp unit just dropped into my lap from a friend. Other than the brackets being a little different (no sweat) what is involved in putting this unit in? Can I just hook up the charge wire from the back again and leave the plug empty? Which 2 terminals may I have to use on the 4 wire connector on the CS alternator? If any?
    I know its probably a pretty basic question... but its late and Im tired so the weird ideas come out. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
    Thanks
    Mike

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

With the old style (exturnal regulator)conversion to inturnal regulator, you need to wire in a diode in one of the wires to only alowe current to run one dirrection. Sorry, it's been a long time and I can't remember what wire. Been atleast 15 years sence I did one.

3. tipoil

tipoil 1/2 ton status

check this link maybe it will help a bit
    alt swap

4. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

It sounds to me like you have a 10si. The easiest thing is to have an alternator shop convert it to 1 wire. I burned up a 90 amp 12si and had a buddy who builds starters/alternators build me a new whatever it is they put in newer model trucks with factory parts pushing 140 amps. The only mods to factory were a 1 wire conversion and Iceberg kit (cooling fins behind the diodes)

5. VisionxOrb

VisionxOrb 1/2 ton status

6. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

ooh I need this too, thanks /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

7. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I wonder if they upgraded bearing sizes in these.... The biggest probelm for me has been the altys losing the front bearing on the serpentine belt systems. I have been running a belt that is 2mm longer and that seems to have helped but it would be nice to have HD bearings. The Wrangler NW units have new HD bearings but they are spendy.