Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Highlights From The weekend

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Drey, Oct 29, 2006.

1. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

Well Guys I had the weekend off from work, and it was Pheasant opener here in Iowa. Heres the highlights

Saturday - 13 birds total I believe including my first(only been pheasant huntin a couple years now, not really hardcore yet, just here and there)

3 buddys and myself got within 10 feet if a real big bodied buck while walking some CRP ground by the river.

then we pulled a few out of a grove by another friends house, one of which Luke shot and dropped into a alfalfa feild, i glanced over and it was running for the standing corn feild. I took off half jogging half running. Got close enough to get a couple shots off and finish him up

went out after dinner by where a friend was combining at. we were walking alot spread out on two sides of a creek. A couple bucks got out of the feild where Hartje was combining at. Everybody was watching them, I walked a little further ahead because a tree was blocking my sight. I flushed a rooster up not even trying. I pulled up and blasted him with one shot. Damn that felt good my first lone kill. He dropped but we couldnt find him. One of the dogs found him about 20 yards ahead of where we were looking. Real nice mature Rooster, long tail feathers and big spurs. So I decided that im getting it mounted.:laugh: Ran it over to the taxidermist I know after the season closed for the day.

After that we went to leave, Hartje called my cell phone to tell me that a bunch of birds were flushing where he was finishing the feild at. So 4 of us piled in my blazer and hauled across the already combined part down to the other end. We pulled another 2 birds out of there.

One of which Tim shot and it went down in a harvested bean feild running. Tim took off after it. He went to jump over a fox hole or something. All the rest of us saw was a cloud of rolling dust with one arm holding up the new over under he just bought:haha: .

This morning we went out to a usual hot spot, didnt have any luck. 4 of us got in my blazer to go around the section and get the vehicles to drive to another spot to walk. I pulled up onto the highway and we hear. TING TING TING...wtf i thought. Said to hell with it and kept going. We got the burb and the pickup. Up the road comes another guy we know he leans out his window. Here you go Jeremy your exhaust tip fell off:doah: Everyone busts out laughing. I think the corn stalks knocked the little screws holding it on loose.

We go to pull out of this feild later and its like 3/4 of a mile to the nearest driveway. Buddy of mine is like, hell you can drive up and out of that ditch...another goes BS he'll get hung up and well have to get the wrecker out here.

I said to hell with it we are going for it...bad idea:doah:

We get up halfway just fine, then my frame bottomed out on the crest. So put in in 4 hi. No back tire traction at all, but my front tires were up on the pavement. I then proceded to do a front wheel burnout for about 10 seconds until the back tires got close enough to grab onto something.

We got 8 birds today, not a very good opening weekend but fun was had by all, Jakes grandpa and two friends from Hackensack that came down had a good time and thats what we shoot for every opener. Those boys dont have that many openers left and we always try to get them to the good spots.

2. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

my best friend went to Iowa for the weekend to do a little pheasant hunting. his grandparents have a farm out that way.

3. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I got skunked this weekend. Put up all hens damnit!!! I ened up walking about 14 miles on saturday. It was fun still watching the dogs do there thing.

4. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

...and you make fun of South Dakota...who got their limit on opening day again? ;)

5. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

like a older guy from Hackensack said...you go to south dakota to shoot...you go to Iowa to hunt, course he was from minnesota, ya dont cha know

hahaha