Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hight output alternator

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by GUMBY, Jun 13, 2001.

1. GUMBY

GUMBY Registered Member

I want a good high output alternator for future additions. What's a good one?

2. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Call NW Power - (800)962-2616
    They have 2 that will bolt up to your stock bracket (serpentine, right?) that are 155 and 175 amp.
    The 155 has a higher idle output, 100 amp I think. HD bearings and assembly.
    I will go for the 155 next time my bearings go out.
    Hold on cuz I think it is over $400.

Dave

"Visualize Whirled Peas"

3. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

I'm running a WranglerNW products 135 amp direct charge alternator that I feel is exceptional. Never dims anything with winch or 130 watt lights or AC or stereo running............only winching I have done is pulling out trees but hey, that is at idle and weren't easy pulls and the gauge never fluctuated. Cost about $250 total.

<font color=blue>'79 ONE TON TPI K5 - See it at---&gt;<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com>http://www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com</A>

4. 2Dogs

They have an awesome high-end wish list, eh?

Dave

"Visualize Whirled Peas"

5. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    I was just reading the artical in Off-road mag. today about ProPowers 170 amp alternator. It has large windings, bearings rated to 350F continuous duty, 200,000 mile + life, and larger cooling holes. You can probably check it out at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.off-roadweb.com>http://www.off-roadweb.com</A> Sounds trick to me.

[​IMG]<font color=red>[/b]"Rid'in HigH in my K5"[​IMG]
    ....[​IMG]<font color=blue>[/b]"6" Lift -<font color=purple>38.5's"[​IMG]....

6. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Those other brands are too pricey for me. I got a Powermaster 140 amp alternator for $150...and its worked perfectly so far.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

7. 2Dogs

If you chose to stick with the stcok alternator on a serpentine belt system, get a belt 2 -3 mm longer. Your front bearing will love you for it. I still run my stock 105 amp - I think it will cover my current needs until I get a winch. But I was having bearing failure regularly. The longer belt has let me run my current alternator for app. 3 years. That is a record for me.

Dave

"Visualize Whirled Peas"

8. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

I also have the Powermaster 140 amp and I love it! I also got mine for around $150...and I have sold a couple to people on this site from work here, they are very happy with them. Mine actually was tested (all Powermasters are tested at the factory before shipping) and it came out at 156 amps (@ 2000RPM), so I got a bonus 16 amps! [​IMG] It is rated at 80 amps @ idle, mine came in at 86 amps! And the 47294 will bolt right in to our trucks, so easy...

9. CrazeeBush

CrazeeBush 1/2 ton status

That sounds like a sweet set up. Is it a 1-wire alternator or just exactly like our trucks came from factory with the leads that clip in on top?

-BuSH
    I'm a dislectic agnostic. I believe in a higher being, his name is DOG. [​IMG]

10. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Same as factory, your wiring harness clip attaches straight onto the alternator leads on top...it took me less than 1/2 hour to swap it in for the old one...that's what I call a real "bolt-on" part!! [​IMG]

11. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

Wrangler NW 225 amp model # 20-ARCS-HO-E. This fit my stock BBC brackets with no problems. Has external regulator for future welder/power supply. Kick ass unit but pricey. Here's the article:

http://www.off-road.com/chevy

12. CrazeeBush

CrazeeBush 1/2 ton status

Although I'd like ot have a 1-wire to clear up some clutter in the engine compartment. I've got wires running everywhere...

-BuSH
    I'm a dislectic agnostic. I believe in a higher being, his name is DOG. [​IMG]

13. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I just got the Wrangler 135 amp like the one in the 4Wheel Off road article.....$225.....the charging wire kit was another $57 (1/0 gauge wires look like jumper cables)....everything bolts right up like it's s'posed to.....Oh Yeah, I also got a new pulley on it for like $20.....fixin' to get their dual battery tray and wiring kit......I'm thinkin' this is one of the best toys I ever bought for my rig.......JD

I'm at 10th and Plum....10 miles from nowhere, and Plum out in the sticks....Stuck?...Hell no..I still got some gas left..