Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Highway driving?

Discussion in 'Plains Region' started by blzr4x4ngkid2, Nov 3, 2004.

1. blzr4x4ngkid2

blzr4x4ngkid2 Registered Member

I was just wondering what everyone thought about driving a SWB Chevy with a 4" lift and 35s on the highway? Ya know, drive it for an hour and a half or so down the highway? The tires are BFGs. I'm not used to this small of lift and tires. Better yet, 12" and 40s is more like it!!

2. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

You'll be fine. I have gone on several road trips in my Jimmy:

-4" 33's I went down to the Slab, 7hr round trip plus with a half of day of wheeling...

7" and 38's I made a 9 hr day trip to Austin to get some fabrication done at 4x4 Iron

7" and 38's I made a 5 hr drive down to College Station on a Friday and made the same trip back on Sunday.

As long as you have a sound drivetrain, you'll be fine /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

3. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

PPFFFF you'll be fine. Since I've moved up here to College Station, I've made the round trip home (Corpus Christi) about 5 times in my burb (about 500 miles round trip). My burb has 6" suspension, 3" body lift and 36x12.50R16 TSL Radials. I actually rides and drives great. The tires dont show that much wear for having about 10k on them total. I even towed an empty flatbed back with me last weekend. IMO BFG's are more of a street tire. Dont get me wrong they're great offroad but they were designed to be a street tire that performs well offroad. There's is absolutely no reason you shouldnt drive your truck everywhere, barring reliability of course.

4. blzr4x4ngkid2

blzr4x4ngkid2 Registered Member

College Station huh? You guys sure handed it to us on a platter for homecoming!! I'm in Stillwater, but from Wichita, KS, so you see how far I have to drive. We play UT at home this weekend, hmmmmmmmm? Might get a little crazy. Thanks for the info. I wasn't at all concerned, I just wanted to be 100% satisfied!