Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Highway RPM's

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by drofdar, Dec 7, 2003.

1. drofdar

drofdar 1/2 ton status

Highway RPM\'s

I am running down to Mexico in my 383 stroker, Edelbrock Performer, Rochester 4bb, Crower Cam grind for low rpm tq. I went with 8:1 compression ratio to use Mexican gas. This runs though a SM465, NP205 and 4.56 diffs. I am spinning 33 inch rubber. So, while my setup for low rpm tq is great for the beach sand, freeway speeds get way out of my tq band and rpms are high to say the least. If I go with 35 inch tires, how would that help my high speed rpm, and at what cost to my low speed performance. Also, I am currently timed at 10-12 BTDC. When I am running US gasoline, what timing should I shoot for in order to get best performance?

2. k5guyva

k5guyva 1/2 ton status

Re: Highway RPM\'s

You want a RPM calculator. The best rpm is the lowest possible in highest gear for the load you need to carry. Since I don't drive in Mexico, I can't help you much.

RPM calculator

3. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

Re: Highway RPM\'s

2" tire height change isnt gonna change RPM very much at all, and will raise truck about 1"

good luck