Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hill 4WD Shackles

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Rebel88, Sep 26, 2000.

1. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

I saw the Hill 4WD shackles in product reviews and just wanted to know a little more about them. If anybody has them could you give me some more info on them. Testimonial type stuff. Are they really worth buying?

Have you driven OVER a Ford lately?

2. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I think so, they are only 59.00 bucks and are very beefy, they allow for full spring compression as well.

[​IMG]
    5,000 Pounds of American Rolling Steel

3. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

Hey Steve,

Whose truck did they go on during the product review? Can you hook me up with them so i can see how they like them. Is it 59 a pair or a piece?

Thanx man,

Eddie

4. CK5

Why, mine of course, and yes 59.00 for the pair.

[​IMG]

5. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

Two more questions. I have heard bad stuff about longer shackles being too lose and shifting around in turns and stuff like that. Have you had any experiences like this? I just want to make sure they are safe because I am seriously considering doing the hill shackles up front and the ord rear kit. Exactly how much lift did it net you front and rear?

Thanks again,
    eddie

6. CK5

These shackles have a welded tube in the center to help prevent flexing and are very strong, I haven't noticed anything to negative, I would at the same time upgrade to ORD greasable shackles to keep everything nice and tight. When people talk about unsafe extended shackles they usally mean shackles longer than 2", I was looking over the board at pirate4x4 and they were talking about people using shackles that are 12" longer than stock, good god, now that would be unsafe. I think you would notice other things faster with the shackles though like tires out of allignment, uneven brakes, loose steering etc., you will need to put a shim under the axle to correct the caster, Hill said 3 degrees should be fine, I had a 4 degree laying around, so I used that one. With the shim it lifted the front end an 1-5/8 at the same time it lowered the back by a 1/4". When I put the ORD flip on it raised the rear by 1/4" over my blocks, so I guess after the front shackles installed the rear was a wash. To anwser your question, yeah I believe they are safe, I would just make sure everything else is tight.

[​IMG]