Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

hillbillies messed me up again?!?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 78Suburban, Jul 23, 2005.

1. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

I'm afraid that the local Advanced auto people (could easily all have acted on Deliverance) have messed me up again. Could someone please look up this oil filter number and tell me if it will work on my '78 350. It is an ACDelco PF 1218 oil filter. The applications listing on the back of the box doesn't list anything older than 1996. I'm pretty sure this is the wrong filter. Why does the parts store always try to treat me like Ned Batey???? :mad:

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

9 out of 10 parts counter people don't know anything more about a car then what's on the screen infront of them.

3. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I use that filter in my K5. It is the same filter as the old number PF35 and it has an anti drain back valve too. AC Delco is changing all their filter numbers. If I rember right PF 1218 is the new number AC delco came out with to fit most chevy V8 engines from 60s to present.
    It should work fine.

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

part # confusion...

Yeah--I ran into the same thing!--went to buy a PF35 AC oil filter,and its been "Dicontinued!" :eek1: ..when I looked in the atolog,the PF1218 was listed instead of the PF35!..Figures after 30+ years,they HAD to change the part number!--why couldn't they just "upgrade" the filter with the check valve (or whatever the supposed difference is),and leave the number the same???.. :mad: I notice AC filters dont seem as high quality as they used to be..mine said "made in mexco" on it.. :mad:

Thats one thing I DONT miss about working at a parts store--seems every time you got to know most of the common part numbers,the damm manufacturers would change the whole numbering system...anything to keep the counterman confused,and have a better chance of selling the wrong parts to someone..anything to make his job more difficult,and lass enjoyable..I have no idea why they feel its nessasary to do this every few years... :confused: :crazy:

5. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

you couldnt pay me to shop that chain of stores. even at work thay are the dead last place to call for parts thay suck a$$

6. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

wtf? I always thought V.I.P (at least a local chain for me) was good... till i went there for simple things for my burb. belts hoses and the likes. it took them 15-20 min to wait on me and there was only one other person ahead of me.... then they had to order special the belti wanted did not think they could order the hose... if they could order the part it would take 5 days... and it was too late that night to order it anyway... went to autozone.. within 5 min had 3 out of four parts i needed including the fuel filter vip could not get me. and one part on order to be in the next day at noon... and advanced has been good to me before. so guess you just suck/got stuck w/ a bad employee roster at yer advanced :dunno:

7. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

let me say advanced auto sucks a$$ i have had great luck with a/z carquest napa and most of my local dealers. but advanced auto just is not with it.

8. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I,m a PH5 man myself.

9. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Ugggg, Fram :doah:

10. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

AC Delco filters made in mexico? :mad:
    I have also heard rumors that AC delco dosn't make oil filters anymore and is outsourcing them like all their parts now. I think I will be using Wix or Carquest filters from now on. Or Even Wally world Tech 2000 filters. At least they are made in the USA.

11. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Check out Delco at tviparts.com in the oil filter section. They spell it out plain as day whether they are Mexican made or not. (and yes, there are a few that are, out of that small sampling)

12. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Half of my family is hillbillies....................... :mad:

13. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

half?? :confused:

14. fatbob

fatbob 1/2 ton status

So you really mean the parts guys gave the hillbilly the right part. The hillbilly runs to his friends, and asks them what to do with an oil filter. :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:
    Come on its not rocket science, if the filter screws on, use it. Everybody has different ideas on which filter is best, but untill you develope a preference, just use what your given instead of slamming the parts monkeys. :D

15. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

Fatbob,
    the parts monkeys are on crack and have screwed me over on several occasions. I didn't want to screw on a filter that was not correct for my application...... If I fill it with oil and try to put it on and it didn't line up, then I would be stuck with it. Just trying to check and see if anybody uses this filter. Aint we all here to help each other out?

16. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Actually, a quarter came from hillbillies and some of them still are. Half came from some religious yahoos up around Utah :D