Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hinge Pin Replacement

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Jonathan, Apr 11, 2002.

1. Jonathan

Jonathan 1/2 ton status

The doors on my K5 are getting hard to shut so I got some a hinge pin replacement kits from Napa. My question is, how exactly do i get the old ones out? Do I have to cut them or what?
    Thanks

2. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

Not to be short but this is a fairly easy job that has been covered a dozen times. Search for "door hinges" and you'll get lots of reading and info. Good luck!

3. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

Also try a search for "door pins".

4. Jonathan

Jonathan 1/2 ton status

Ok, I searched and it looks like I need to cut them out. I'd like to do this without unbolting the hinges (I don't want to mess with trying to line the doors back up). Does anyone have any ideas on how to get them out with removing the doors?
    Thanks

5. 85m1009

85m1009 1/2 ton status

You will have to unbolt the upper hinge on the door side to get the pin out or the new one in. Just take a marker and draw around the hinge before you unbolt it. Line it back up when your done and everything should fit as it did before.

6. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

You'll probably have to line it up again anyway, just unbolt the front clip and slide it forward a few inches so you can access the bolts...its not too bad. I took a bolt cutter and cut the old pins in half, hit the ends out ans put the new ones in. Its really not that bad, just takes some time.

7. Jonathan

Jonathan 1/2 ton status

I guess I'll just have to unbolt them next time I get some free time on a day that I don't have to go to school or work. How did you cut just the pin in half? On my hinges, the pins look like they have a sleeve on them. Did you just cut through this and replace it, too? When I take the hinge off, can I just pound the pins all the way through or will this screw something up?

8. 85m1009

85m1009 1/2 ton status

If they haven't been replaced yet all that keeps them in place is a crimp on the bottom end. If they have been replaced most places put a small weld on them. You can use a air cutoff wheel without too much difficulty to cut them in two. If you are getting new pins just cut them in the middle and take them out.

9. Jonathan

Jonathan 1/2 ton status

They are just held in with a crimp. I don't have a cut-off wheel, the best cutting tool I have is a sawzall (I don't think it will work too well in those kind of tight spaces). Will it hurt to just pound them out?

10. 85m1009

85m1009 1/2 ton status

It will take a while, but you should be able to cut them in two with a hacksaw. The make a hacksaw handle that lets you use it sort of like a keyhole saw. The blade goes into a slot and sticks out the end with no hoop around it, If this makes sense. Should be very inexpensive to purchase. I doubt you can just pound them out without messing up the hinge alignment.

11. Jonathan

Jonathan 1/2 ton status

What if I filed down the crimps and then tapped them throught with a hammer? Would that work?

12. 85m1009

85m1009 1/2 ton status

13. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

i was able to get a dremal in on mine.
    it wasnt that bad. used a sanding drum and sanded the crimp off. then wiggled the door a bit and pulled it out. the top i still had to lossen but i marked it first.
    grant.

14. Jonathan

Jonathan 1/2 ton status

Cool, I'll do that then as soon as I get something else to use as pins. I'm gonna try to make my doors removable while I'm working on them.