Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hinge pins and bushings, what a mess!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by uglytruk, Mar 30, 2006.

1. uglytruk

uglytruk 1/2 ton status

IN A JUNKYARD, UNDER A TRUCK*N E Rust Belt
    Been tackling a number of medium jobs on my '87 Sub. Now the drivers hinge pins. The lower hinge mostly surrounds or obscures the pin. I torched away a small semi-circle to be able to get my right angle cutting torch in to be able to cut the pin. You can't knock it up because of crimps (from factory) to prevent pin popping up. So here's the mess, any suggestions??? Like usual, I torced the paint... :mad:

Suburban hinges 001.jpg

Suburban hinges 002.jpg

Suburban hinges 003.jpg

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I used a Die Grinder and hold both front door pins on my burb switched in about 20 min

3. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

doood, pull the door...

4. littlejimmythatcould

littlejimmythatcould 1/2 ton status

I agree, pull the door. It will be much easier to acess. But make some kind of alignment marks first or they will be hard to get back on.

5. ryoken

I should clarify that a little.. Pull the door from the hinges.. Do NOT pull the hinges off the post, leave those bolts alone.. It's a real bear aligning the doors when those have been loosened..

And yeah, as LittleJimmy pointed out, mark your hinge locations on the door before hand..

6. uglytruk

uglytruk 1/2 ton status

IN A JUNKYARD, UNDER A TRUCK*N E Rust Belt
    Yeah, I shouda' pulled the door. No electric window wires, and no damage to the paint! Maybe I could use my engine hoist to suspend the door if I had wiring...
    As far as removing hinge from cowl, you can't even reach the bolts. I'm sure of that because my pass. door is way low, maybe accident and ??? I'll have to remove the fender to get to those bolts. Stupid...

7. ryoken

I just felt the need to warn ya on that one... Woulda felt bad if I didn't.. You can sometimes get to em to take em out with the right assortment of 1/4 drive tools.. But thats only removal and its a pain, impossible to tighten for alignment install anyway...

well, hey pull the door from the others.. then you can eyeball adjust that hinge to post your having probs with... :wink1: