Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Histeer woes (completed!!!)

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Blazinaire, Mar 26, 2003.

1. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

Well I finally got off my butt yesterday and started installing my x-over and histeer /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif. I am using rockstomper double steer arms and I ran into a few problems: First I had to remove a significant amount of material from the arms to allow full lock to lock steering (no biggy.) Then, although my calipers fit no problem, I did end up rotating the block on the brakelines 90 degrees (use to point straight up and down, now points to the rear of the truck.) is that okay /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif? Since I am using a straight draglink, the engine crossmember will only allow for about 2'' of up travel before making contact (hopefully this will be fixed by tomorrow.) Now the biggy: I was running dual shock but since the tierod is now above the springs and behind the axle I figured I would have to remove the forward of the 2 shocks on each side... I was partially right. The tierod still makes contact with the rear of the 2 shocks on the shaft, not the body, so flipping the shocks is not an option, in other words: none of them fit /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif. I have new ford towers, but in order to run them I'd have to make the lower mount further away from the axle which puts increased leverage/strain on the mount and knowing the way that I drive offroad (way too fast) they will rip right off /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif. The only logical way that I can see to mount them would be straight up and down coming from the spring plates but then the steering column is in the way on the drivers side /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif. Anyone have ANY ideas as to how I could mount my shocks straight up and down without interfering with the steering column while still using the ford towers? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif I can cut/bend/weld them as needed, just need to have a good plan of attack /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

2. ducttape114

ducttape114 1/2 ton status

Re: Histeer woes (shock related)

shocks are for pussys, get stiffer springs!

3. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Ask Butch at 4x4Iron. I know he has done this setup on at least one vehicle and he did move the shocks around. Maybe see what he did.

4. Blazinaire

Okay, I kinda made this work /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif... I ended up grinding off the factory dual shock bracket and then installing it about 7'' back on the frame and just a bit above the top of the frame rail (looks very similar to the ford tower setup but on a smaller scale using a shorter shock.) The primary shock had 9'' travel and the secondary had 10 1/4'' so I positioned the bracket to allow the use of the longer of the 2 with the same amount of compression travel and now 1 1/4'' more droop travel (every bit helps and I figure this should provide a few more inches of articulated travel. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif) I went this route as opposed to running my ford towers because, well /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif, I just need to get this done so I had to use the shocks I had /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif.

Now I need to remove the factory engine crossmember and install the new one. I can't really use (or at least I don't feel comfortable with) the acetalene torch to blow out the rivets, so it looks like I'll be doing lots of grinding /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif.

This turned out to be a lot more work than I anticipated, 30 hours of my labor so far with at least 15 more until I'm done (I figure I'll run into some more snags)

I'm having a hard time (no pun intended) keeping my friends from humping my truck now; it is so sexy /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

You going to use the ford towers with longer shocks later Jay?

6. Blazinaire

Bruce, I was planning on installing the ford towers, just not until I can afford some real shocks (7/8'' shaft w/ reservoir) and then I will be taking a slightly different approach with them by mounting them straight over the axle.

on a different note...
    I finished!!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Engine crossmember was a piece of cake once I figured out how to get it out from between the frame rails (and yes that bad boy came out in one piece /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif) only took about an hour from start to finish to replace it.

I ended up cutting off about an inch from the backside of each of the arms /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gifto gain a little extra brakeline clearance. Now I don't have those two extra holes at the back of the arms and it didn't affect the structural integrity of the arm where the tierod goes because I cut it right at the beginning of the second hole.

I still have to bleed my brakes and power steering system so I couldn't tell you how it works on the road (or off) yet /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif but let me tell you this thing sure looks sweet I can't even see my tierod/ draglink/ engine crossmember/ etc. stareing at the front of my truck from 20 feet away, so hopefully the rocks won't find it either /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

7. Blazinaire

Fo shizzle my nizzles!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Why didn't I do this a long time ago? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif Bumpsteer is all but completely eliminated. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif I went over a series of dips with my hands off the wheel and the truck kept going straight, I even drove into a curb with a little momentum and still no bumpsteer!

I drove straight up a 3'+ wall with one wheel and still had lock to lock steering! Handling is much better and more responsive and I can practically make a u-turn inside my own lane! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I fabbed up a steering stabilizer bracket that ought to be stout enough to take the load of a hydro ram (already had tabs for ram on the tierod) out of a pair of exhaust clamps and some 3/8'' plate. So If and when the time comes for hydro, I will be ready /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif but for now I have the stabilizer in there.

I still need to fine tune my alignment (needs more toe) and adjust the draglink a butt-hair to center the wheel. Other than that everything seems to be working great (in my whopping 15 miles of driving.) These trucks should have come like this from the factory. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

8. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

I'm interested to hear how it does on the highway too.....once you start logging more miles on it. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Glad to hear the outcome was a success!

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. 87GMC

87GMC 1/2 ton status

Sounds cool, do you have any pics?

10. IGOR

IGOR 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Definitely - let's see some pics!

How'd it drive without a steering dampener?

11. Blazinaire

[ QUOTE ]

How'd it drive without a steering dampener?

[/ QUOTE ] I wouldn't know, I made my brackets and had one installed before the first drive . As for the pics, I am digi cam and scanner impaired /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif and semi-computer illiterate /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif. But if anyone wants to come and snap some pics, feel free /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

12. Blazinaire

well I've got about 2000 miles on my steering now and have zero complaints/concerns /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif. With the stock steering it seemed like going through a gradual turn on the highway would require me to keep turning the wheel more and more even though the turn wasn't getting any sharper /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif. That feeling is gone. Straight line driving requires far less input than before. I did have a few problems with the bolts holding my new engine crossmember in place falling out /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif. They were properly torqued and I used lock washers... I just bought some larger fine thread grade 8 bolts with nylock nuts and lock washers so that should take care of that! I have an autofab frame brace waiting to go in and then I may try to work my pump for some more turning force (I don't think that hydro assist is necessary for me with 35''s) and then I think my steering will be done!! (that's a first for any system on my truck! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif)

13. moneypit

moneypit 1/2 ton status

Glad you like it! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif