Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

History of 4x4

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by clubba68, Feb 4, 2004.

1. clubba68

clubba68 1/2 ton status

Anyone know of any good books that I could check out on the history of 4x4 or off-roading? I have been searching the library at school, but haven't found anything. I need it for my research paper. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif
    Thanks. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

2. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Try Amazon.com. I've seen them but mostly they are jeep based. I wouldnt mind one for home.

3. tweek

tweek 1/2 ton status

history channel did an hour special on the history of 4x4's. i use this video as a sub plan at school (ain't my job great /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif).....you could try buying it from the history channel, should only be about $20......also try a search at the local library under the FWD motor company or more specifically the FWD Battleship (some regard this as the first true four wheel drive) .....also back issues of Fourwheeler have also covered this topic...........hope this helped and good luck /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

4. clubba68

clubba68 1/2 ton status

Thanks.
    Yeah, I have seen that History Channel show. I looked on their website just before I posted this, but couldn't find anything on 4x4 or off-roading.

5. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Yeah like Nick said. Also I would look into the history of GMC and Dodge they were building 4x4's for the Army well befor the first GPW rolled off the line. You may want to check out Bantom as well the real inventor of the 1/4 ton 4x4 known as the Jeep.

6. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

theres some websites about this, that ive run into by accident when searching for other things, i might be able to find some of them again

7. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

I seen one on ebay about 3 years ago and it was a blazer book, hardback, I looked it up at Amazon and they didn't have it /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

I lost the bid at like 40-50$ /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

8. tweek

tweek 1/2 ton status

you can buy that blazer book in the back of the lmc catalog, i am assuming it is the same one.....also did a little thinking about your topic, it may be easier to do the history of heeps /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif, just alot more info.....also jim allen of fourwheeler fame has published a bunch of books on the topic........again good luck

9. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    you can buy that blazer book in the back of the lmc catalog, i am assuming it is the same one.....also did a little thinking about your topic, it may be easier to do the history of heeps /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif, just alot more info.....also jim allen of fourwheeler fame has published a bunch of books on the topic........again good luck

[/ QUOTE ]

YEP THATS IT! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

now where the order buttong /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif